Student council discusses dining on-Grounds, sweater vests

No issue is too small for concern, Axler says

<p>Six representatives from around Charlottesville helped foster conversation about encouraging greater collaboration between University CIOs and making stronger connections between students, faculty, community partners and people in service jobs around Charlottesville.</p>

Six representatives from around Charlottesville helped foster conversation about encouraging greater collaboration between University CIOs and making stronger connections between students, faculty, community partners and people in service jobs around Charlottesville.

Student Council met Tuesday to discuss several community concerns.

Second-year student Jocelyn Huang addressed Architecture students’ concerns about the lack of meal swipes in the Fine Arts Cafe.

“Offering a meal swipe would be a great way to promote healthy food, because they have a lot of local and organic food,” Huang said.

Vice President of Administration Daria Winsky, a fourth-year Batten student, said she plans to meet with an Aramark representative to discuss several issues related to dining, including Huang’s concern and the inability for students to use Plus Dollars to pay for concessions at University athletic events.

Second-year College student Uhunoma Edamwen said he is planning an open forum, likely sometime in November, where students can engage with Student Council.

“We really want to create a space for students to share their ideas,” Edamwen said.

College Representative Luke Williams, a second-year student, said he was approached by third-year Engineering student Shota Ono about student interest in the idea of sweater vests as tank tops.

Vice President of Organizations Emily Lodge, a Batten student, said Ono is planning to start a CIO called Sweater Vests as Tank Tops (SVATT) to meet that interest.

“I’m the official sponsor of SVATT,” Lodge said. “There’s a lot of passion there.”

Council President Abraham Axler said no issue is too small to bring up to Council.

“This is a great example of someone following through on something they want to do,” Axler said. “It’s about wearing what one wants to wear.”

Axler, a third-year College student, also expressed his desire for Council to look into nap rooms for students on Grounds.

“Nap room technology is rapidly advancing, [and] there’s a fair amount of demonstrated interest in this at the University,” Axler said. “There’s increased focus on mindfulness, [and] the average U.Va. student gets less than six hours of sleep per night.”