Student Council discusses "Your Friend, StudCo" initiative

New initiative to offer Council as resource to CIOs

<p>Council discussed a variety of community concerns at their Tuesday meeting.</p>

Council discussed a variety of community concerns at their Tuesday meeting.

At Tuesday evening’s Student Council meeting, Vice President of Organizations Emily Lodge presented the “Your Friend, StudCo” initiative, an effort to reach out to every CIO at the University and offer Student Council’s support.

As part of the initiative, a representative will send an email to the president of each organization, asking for concerns and offering Student Council as a resource.

College Representative Jocelyn Huang raised concerns about student safety. Students are concerned Safe Ride services do not stop at enough places on Wertland St., where many students live, Huang said.

Huang, a second year, also brought up concerns about the absence of a convenient crosswalk for Lambeth residents to access the Emmett/Ivy Garage, where many park, and the need for more lighting near the dumpsters in Lambeth.

Various other student initiatives and ideas were discussed at the meeting as well.

The Fresh Food Company at Newcomb Dining Hall will be hosting its first vegetarian-themed dinner Thursday, Sustainability Co-Chair Alex Wolz said.

“There will be no meat served — part of an initiative to raise awareness about sustainability aspects of meat and how it’s harmful to the environment,” said Wolz, a Commerce student.

President Abraham Axler, a third-year College student, brought up the idea of collecting better data from low-income students to determine how best Affordable Excellence can serve them.

“We have virtually no data about the low-income student experience, which creates an enormous problem for us,” Axler said. “If we can figure out what to do, there’s a lot to be done.”

Student representatives brought up several suggestions, such as a randomized, anonymous survey asking students their economic status and their concerns about the University.