U.Va. Miller Center launches new website

Two-year project will analyze what incoming president needs to do in first 365 days

<p>One of the center’s biggest initiatives aimed at fostering student involvement is the “Millennial Caucus,” a section of the new&nbsp;website dedicated to providing a platform for students’ political voices.</p>

One of the center’s biggest initiatives aimed at fostering student involvement is the “Millennial Caucus,” a section of the new website dedicated to providing a platform for students’ political voices.

The Miller Center launched a new website called “The First Year: POTUS 2017,” on Thursday, dedicated to influencing national political debate, addressing pressing presidential policy issues and examining past presidential successes and failures during their first year in office.

The webpage will include blog posts, scholarly essays, videos over the project’s two-year duration.

The goal is not to offer policy prescriptions as other think tanks, partisan groups and bloggers aim to do, said Howard Witt, managing editor of the Miller Center.

“The Miller Center is positioned to...harness the lessons of history,” Witt said. “How can the next president avoid mistakes that her or his predecessors may have made or replicate their successes?”

Tony Lucadamo, the lead policy analyst for the Miller Center’s Policy Programs department, said University students can help the political community identify which issues are most important for their generation.

“It’s important to know what the next generation feels are the issues that really matter,” Lucadamo said.

One of the center’s biggest initiatives aimed at fostering student involvement is the “Millennial Caucus,” a section of the website dedicated to providing a platform for students’ political voices.

“There’s going to be an active place for U.Va. students to have a voice and to ideally impact the decision making going on in D.C. and partner with the Miller Center brand in a way that amplifies what they are able to say to Washington,” Lucadamo said.