What to watch at November's Board of Visitor's meeting: a timetable

Board to meet Thursday, Friday, discuss increasing faculty diversity, capital project approval

The Board of Visitors of the University of Virginia will meet Thursday and Friday to discuss diverse faculty-hiring initiatives, capital projects, the University’s access to lines of credit, and numerous other topics. The Cavalier Daily has highlighted the most important issues to be discussed at these meetings, which are open to the public, and will be held in the auditorium of the Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library. 

Thursday:

2:15 p.m. - 3 p.m. — Committee on the University of Virginia’s College at Wise

The committee will discuss long-term strategic planning for U.Va. at Wise. Chancellor Donna Henry will report on the “Envisioning 2020” strategic plan, the committee will approve a work plan to set goals for advancement, and the university’s reaccreditation report will be discussed.

4 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. — Executive Committee

In the Executive Committee session, University President Teresa Sullivan and Marcus Martin, vice president and chief officer for diversity and equity, will discuss diversity initiatives to take place at the University relating to both faculty and students. This will also include a discussion led by Thomas Katsouleas, executive vice president and provost, regarding ongoing strategies for diversified faculty recruitment. Sullivan said these recruiting tactics will include diversifying the pool of applicants and building “telecommuting” facilities for spouses who accompany new hires, enabling them to continue their careers.

Friday:

8:30 a.m. - 10am — Academic and Student Life

Two new deans in STEM fields will hold a panel discussion with Board members during the Academic and Student Life committee meeting regarding ongoing and upcoming research at the University. Following these presentations, Dean of Admissions Greg Roberts will also speak to members about admissions. Katsouleas will lead an environment and culture event in February to determine “the kind of environment we want” at the University, Sullivan said.

10 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. — Buildings and Grounds Committee

Among projects to be discussed by the Buildings and Grounds Committee is the use of the former student bookstore on the Corner, which is expected to become a study and resource space for students. New University Architect Alice Raucher, who was appointed this summer, will present a strategic planning process for space at the University, taking into consideration colocation of programs and which buildings and areas need renovations.

The committee will consider changes to the planning and approval process for capital projects, which may in the future bypass the Rector for smaller-scale projects. This will include a closer look at the University’s real estate holdings dating back to 1995. The committee will also be discussing renovations for the Inn at Darden for their next major capital project.

11:15 a.m. - 12:15 a.m. — Finance Committee

The Finance Committee will be voting on the creation of a University-wide liquidity management policy. This policy will allow the University to take out additional operating lines of credit in order to introduce more flexibility into operations.

12:45 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. — Advancement Committee

The Advancement Committee will be discussing the bicentennial campaign for the University, which will include TED Talk-style presentations from faculty members with ideas.

2:15 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. — Meeting of the full board

As part of the meeting of the full board, the Board of Visitors will be discussing changes to the University’s Cornerstone Plan, including increased resources at the Career Center and a focus on increased student engagement, particularly within the College. Sullivan recently sent a letter to students detailing some of the other potential changes being considered, including increased faculty hiring and diversification.

Read this article translated into Chineshere