Bus leaving Richmond overturns on highway, 34 passengers injured, one in serious condition

Driver charged with reckless driving, state police investigation ongoing

A Home Ride bus with students from U.Va., Radford, and Virginia Tech overturned around 7:15 this evening outside of Richmond.

The Abbott Bus Lines bus had 50 passengers at the time of the crash. 33 are reported injured and one seriously injured according to Virginia State Police. One car collided with the overturned bus, causing another minor injury.

The incident is being called a mass casualty incident due to the high level of emergency services required. Injured passengers are being taken to six Metro-Richmond hospitals for treatment.

The bus overturned after the driver lost control on a highway ramp curve from Powhite Parkway Route 76 to Chippenham Parkway Route 150 south.

Virginia State Police determined that speed was a factor in the crash and charged the driver, Thomas Chidester, with reckless driving.

State police are still investigating the crash, and the Virginia State Police Motor Carrier Safety Team arrived on scene Sunday night to conduct safety checks on the bus.

Home Ride is a service based in Blacksburg, Virginia that provides weekend and holiday bus service from the University, Radford University, Virginia Tech and James Madison University to northern Virginia, Richmond, Hampton, Harrisonburg and Charlottesville.

There was a bus scheduled to leave Richmond at 6 p.m. on Sunday and arrive at the University at 7:30 p.m.

State police are still working to gather the names and details of all bus passengers, and cannot yet release that information.