McIntire announces new graduate program to partner with schools in China, Spain

Admitted students to split year of study between three countries

<p>McIntire has worked hard to expand the number of opportunities beyond traditional one-semester study abroad programs,&nbsp;Huddleston said.</p>

McIntire has worked hard to expand the number of opportunities beyond traditional one-semester study abroad programs, Huddleston said.

The McIntire School of Commerce recently announced plans for its new M.S. in Global Commerce program, which will give students the chance to study in Spain, China and the U.S. 

Students in the program will earn a dual M.S. in global commerce and global strategic management, as well as a certificate in international management.

The year-long program is in partnership with Lingnan College at Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou, China and ESADE International School of Business in Barcelona, Spain.

Students will spend the first 15 weeks of the program at the University, then travel to China and study at Lingnan College for nine weeks, and finish the program at ESADE for 15 weeks.

Cyndy Huddleston, the associate dean of graduate admission and corporate relations at McIntire, said the program is seeking a class of 60 students, with approximately one-third of the class from the Americas, one-third from Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, and one-third from Asia.

*Out of a class of 60 students

Graphic by Maha Nayyar

Each partner school is actively recruiting candidates and the process will likely be “very competitive,” Huddleston said, because successful candidates must be accepted by all three schools.

Academic director of the M.S. in Global Commerce program Lynn Hamilton said young professionals entering the workforce today must be skilled in “global competencies” in order to succeed in global business.

“Companies are looking for young business professionals to go on international assignments,” she said.

These competencies, which the program aims develop in students by exposing students to three different countries, “help someone adapt to an environment, build rapport with different cultures [and] get work done globally,” Hamilton said.

A successful applicant will be academically competitive and will need to be willing to work in multicultural teams in each region during their year of study, Huddleston said. Applicants are not required to have any prior work experience.

Unlike McIntire’s fifth-year M.S. in Commerce program, which is designed for student with non-business undergraduate degrees, this new program is built specifically for students with undergraduate business degrees who are looking to hone “their platform of business, strategy, finance, accounting skills” through studying abroad at three prominent business schools, Hamilton said.

“This is just one more opportunity on that broad continuum,” she said.

Just over half — 52.7 percent — of McIntire graduate students studied abroad in the 2014-15 school year, according to the International Studies Office.

The program is still pending approval from the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. The University, however, is expecting a decision in the near future, Hamilton said.

Graphic By: Anisha Kumar