Student Council discusses CAPS, expanding recognition of religious holidays

Six new CIOs also approved

<p>Student Council heard from&nbsp;representatives from the Jewish Leadership Council and the Muslim Student Association about a resolution to&nbsp;"enhance [the University's]&nbsp;academic consideration and inclusion of its Jewish and Islamic student communities.”</p>

Student Council heard from representatives from the Jewish Leadership Council and the Muslim Student Association about a resolution to "enhance [the University's] academic consideration and inclusion of its Jewish and Islamic student communities.”

Student Council met Tuesday night to discuss Counseling and Psychological Services, hear a resolution from members of the Muslim Students Association and the Jewish Leadership Council and approve six new CIOs.

During a discussion of CAPS at the Student Health Center, Student Council President Abraham Axler described the University’s current conception of mental health services as “triage,” or assigning different degrees of urgency, rather than considering mental health resources as important for all students in their daily lives.

“What you’re going to see is a major plan for what it would look like to give CAPS a lot more resources,” said Axler, a third-year College student.

Fourth-year College student Rachel Murphy, safety and wellness committee co-chair, said CAPS is working to address the misinformation students may have about it as a resource.

“They know more than we do how much of an issue it is, and they’re mind-numbingly frustrated by the situation that they’re in,” Murphy said. “They’re working hard to create a more open conversation with students about mental health.”

Following this discussion, representatives from the Jewish Leadership Council and the Muslim Student Association spoke about a resolution, sponsored by College representative Uhunoma Edamwen, a second-year College student. The resolution called on “the University of Virginia to enhance its academic consideration and inclusion of its Jewish and Islamic student communities.”

Fourth-year College student Marnie Kremer and second-year Nursing student Talia Sion, representatives from the Jewish Leadership Council, said the major Jewish holidays of Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah are not on the academic calendar, and many professors are not aware of them. This results in exams and paper deadlines scheduled for these days.

Jewish students often fast during Yom Kippur and cannot use electronics or do work, Sion said. Those observing the holiday have to ask for accommodations when facing a scheduled exam.

“You either have to take the accommodation and put yourself at an academic disadvantage, or choose between your religion and your academics,” Kremer said. “We don’t think anyone should be forced to make that decision.”

Sion and Kremer said the Jewish Leadership Council is not asking for classes to be canceled on these holidays. Instead, it is requesting not to have paper deadlines or exams on these days.

Muslim Student Association Representative Rawda Fawaz, a first-year College student, asked for the same consideration for the Islamic holiday Eid.

“It’s equal to having an exam on Christmas Day,” Fawaz said.

The resolution could raise awareness about how the University recognizes certain holidays, Edamwen said.

“I think this will set a new precedent and help promote a culture, and establish more consciousness and awareness,” Edamwen said.

Student Council voted against the resolution but showed general support and invited the representatives to present the resolution after re-wording specific language concerns.

Student Council also approved six new CIOs: an Indian classical dance group, a competitive speech and debate team, Health Occupations Students of America, Lacrosse the Nations, Nu Omega Iota and Smash at U.Va.