Alcohol and drug abuse prevention group aims to curb "fourth-year fifth"

Peer Educators tackle the tradition during Substance Abuse Prevention Week

<p>ADAPT Peer Health Educators will coordinate a number of events this week to ensure the last home football game is a safe and memorable experience, fourth-year College student Brittany Heck, co-chair of ADAPT, said.</p>

ADAPT Peer Health Educators will coordinate a number of events this week to ensure the last home football game is a safe and memorable experience, fourth-year College student Brittany Heck, co-chair of ADAPT, said.

The University’s Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team will this week sponsor Substance Abuse Prevention Week in an annual effort to curb the number of fourth-year students who participate in the “fourth-year fifth,” or the consumption of a metric fifth of alcohol before the last home football game.

ADAPT aims to promote safe drinking in place of the fourth-year fifth. Leslie Baltz, a fourth-year College student, died while participating in the fourth-year fifth in 1997.

A fifth is roughly 750 mL, or 17 shots.

ADAPT Peer Health Educators will coordinate a number of events this week to ensure the last home football game is a safe and memorable experience, fourth-year College student Brittany Heck, co-chair of ADAPT, said.

“It’s such a fun atmosphere — your last home football game with all your friends — and you want to make sure you remember the game,” Heck said.

A bagel brunch for fourth-year students from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. will be held Monday in Pavillion VI to kick off the week. There will also be an opportunity to sign the “Remember the Game” pledge, which asks students not to consume excessive amounts of alcohol during the game.

The following evening, mental health advocate Ross Szabo will give a speech on alcohol abuse and mental health in Newcomb Ballroom at 7 p.m.

“He’s a fantastic speaker,” Heck said. “I’ve heard great things, and I’m really excited about that.”

Students recovering from alcohol or drug addiction will participate in a Hoos in Recovery Panel in Newcomb Kaleidoscope Room Wednesday at 8:30 p.m.

The week will come to a close with the Fourth-Year 5K Saturday at 8:00 a.m. in the Amphitheater. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Leslie Baltz Foundation for art history or studio art scholarships.

Read this article translated into Chinese here