Volleyball turns back Wake, falls flat against Duke

The Virginia volleyball team finished up a four-game home stand Friday and Saturday nights at Memorial Gymnasium, topping Wake Forest in straight sets before stumbling against Duke. The Cavaliers (15-8, 7-5 ACC) and the Blue Devils (12-10, 7-5) are now tied for fifth place in the conference standings with four weeks to go in the regular season.

Friday night, Virginia avenged a late September loss to the struggling Demon Deacons (10-14, 2-10 ACC), registering a season-high .330 attack percentage while holding Wake Forest to a paltry .078. Junior outside hitter Haley Kole put up 10 kills and seven digs for the Cavaliers, and senior middle hitter Natalie Bausback recorded eight kills, six digs and a team-high five blocks.

Outside hitters senior Kayla Sears, junior Jasmine Burton and freshman Anna Walsh, meanwhile, combined for 25 kills against just five errors in the 25-16, 25-16, 25-20 victory.

Duke handed Virginia its second home loss of the season Saturday night before an announced crowd of 605 fans, prevailing 25-18, 25-18, 25-14. While the Cavaliers defeated the Blue Devils at Cameron Indoor Stadium for the first time since 2003 earlier this season, Duke as a team out-hit Virginia .366 to .198. Blue Devil junior middle blocker Jordan Tucker, racked up 13 kills on a wickedly efficient .600 attack percentage.

Burton — an All-ACC second-teamer last season — paced the Cavalier attack with 10 kills, and senior setter Lauren Fuller tallied a team-high 26 assists along with six digs.

Virginia plays Miami and Florida State this weekend on the road. The Cavaliers will match up with the Hurricanes (15-7, 8-4 ACC) Friday at 7 p.m. in Coral Gables, Florida before taking on the No. 15 Seminoles (18-5, 11-1 ACC) Sunday at 1 p.m. in Tallahassee.