​Perrantes, Brogdon propel Virginia’s win streak

Cavaliers face short two-day turnaround against Wake Forest

<p>Now in their third year starting together, the backcourt duo of Malcolm Brogdon and London Perrantes continues to improve.</p>

Now in their third year starting together, the backcourt duo of Malcolm Brogdon and London Perrantes continues to improve.

Entering the 2015-16 Virginia men’s basketball season it was no secret the Cavaliers are a veteran squad. Even with the loss of guard Justin Anderson – who would have been a senior – the Cavaliers knew they would possess more experience than most of their foes.

Now 19 games into the season, nowhere is that more apparent than in the backcourt, where running-mates senior guard Malcolm Brogdon and junior guard London Perrantes deliver week in and week out.

Brogdon leads the team averaging 17 points per game. Although he went through a bit of a slump a few weeks ago, he seems to have found his rhythm again. Against Syracuse Sunday, the fifth-year senior buried two critical threes late in the second half before going 6-6 on free throws in the final minute.

Perrantes, meanwhile, has been more aggressive seeking his shot. The Los Angeles native was sixth on the team last year averaging 6.4 points per game, but now is third on the team with 11.9 points per contest. He is shooting an outstanding 54.9 percent from three and leads the team with 74 assists.

But perhaps the greatest asset of the duo is not their individual performances, but the way they play off of each other. Inbounding the ball against the Syracuse press, their feel for the game was ever-apparent.

“Our chemistry has evolved as much as chemistry between two players can,” Brogdon said. “On the court, we just need eye contact to know what each other is going to do with their next step. For example, when they started full-court pressing us at the end, he throws it right over the top. I don’t have to point, I don’t have to gesture, it’s just an eye contact like ‘you know where to throw it and I know where to be.’ We read each other very well.”

For a team still struggling to find its groove, these two have allowed No. 11 Virginia (15-4, 4-3 ACC) to win close games this season. When the Cavaliers take on Wake Forest (10-9, 1-6 ACC) Tuesday in Winston Salem at 7 p.m., their play will again make a difference.

Aside from senior forward Anthony Gill – who averages 14.8 points per game – Virginia has yet to find many consistent scoring threats. Coach Tony Bennett has toyed with different lineups, allowing senior center Mike Tobey to have his moments, and sophomore guard Devon Hall to make improvements.

However, regardless of which starting five takes the court, Brogdon and Perrantes not only always start, but also are key contributors.

Sunday night, Brogdon – who had 21 points – was not only a perimeter threat, but also a presence in the high post. The All-American found creases in the 2-3 zone, and dished out assists while also hitting several mid-range jumpers.

“You like having playmakers there whenever you can,” Bennett said. “Malcolm could turn and face for the shot or he could drive it like a point guard. I thought that gave us a nice lift. We got a lot of buckets, whether that was him scoring or him making plays.”

Perrantes – at only 6-foot-2 – does not bring the size advantage of Brogdon, but his on-court awareness and composure have always given him his California cool. The difference this season is his ability to hunt his own shot.

Aside from a 26-point performance against Miami last season, Perrantes seemed content to defer to his teammates. With the departure of Anderson, however, the junior has consistently been more aggressive. He drilled seven three pointers against Virginia Tech and had a critical corner three Sunday to stretch the Virginia lead to 60-54.

“It’s just about getting in a rhythm and having a lot of confidence,” Perrantes said. “My team has given me the ball in the right sports and I’m able to take open shots and make plays when needed. I think having confidence has helped me the most right now.”

Come Tuesday, leaning on the veteran backcourt duo will be critical. Virginia will actually travel to Wake Forest and practice there to give the team a longer break in the 48-hour turnaround.

The Demon Deacons are far from a formidable squad – they have dropped six of their past seven matchups, including four straight, and rank No. 14 in the ACC. But Wake Forest gave Virginia a scare last year in Charlottesville, when then-freshman forward Konstantinos Mitoglou buried six threes. After trailing 31-24 at the half, Virginia clawed back for a 61-60 win.

Although the Cavaliers stormed ahead with a 70-34 win 11 days later, Virginia cannot overlook Wake Forest, especially given the team’s three-game road losing streak. Senior forward Devin Thomas is averaging a double-double, after all.

Again, Brogdon and Perrantes will be the keys to jumpstarting Virginia’s offense. If Perrantes can hit an early triple or Brogdon can get to the paint, the Cavaliers will again be tough to beat.

“I think we just have to come out with the energy that we need to be able to win the games,” Gill said. “We don’t really come out the way we should, the way we would at home games, and that has been a problem for us all year especially during ACC play. We just have to come out and be ready to attack the game from the beginning.”