Weekend Previews: Jan. 29-31

"The Skinny" on weekend action for swimming and diving, men's and women's tennis and indoor track and field

<p>Laura Simon and the Virginia swimming and diving teams will face NC State and&nbsp;longtime rival North Carolina this weekend.</p>

Laura Simon and the Virginia swimming and diving teams will face NC State and longtime rival North Carolina this weekend.

Swimming & Diving

What: Virginia vs. North Carolina; North Carolina State

Where: Chapel Hill, N.C.

When: Friday, 4 p.m.

The Skinny: Following a women’s sweep of Virginia Tech and Towson and a men’s split two weeks ago in Christiansburg, Va., as well as a postponement of a meet last week, the Virginia swimming and diving teams resume competition in Chapel Hill, N.C. this Friday as they take on UNC and N.C. State in a double-dual meet.

The No. 8 Cavalier women (6-0) will face two very solid teams in the Wolfpack and the Tar Heels. Against No. 15 N.C. State women (8-1), Virginia will have to put up a lot of points as a team to beat some of N.C. State’s members, including one of the best divers in the ACC, redshirt senior Rachel Mumma. Also, the Cavaliers will take on the No. 16 Tar Heel women (6-1). UNC has had a solid season, placing in the top three of a couple of invitations and winning several matches in dominating fashion.

For the No. 21 Virginia men (3-3), they are looking to continue to turn around their season against these North Carolina teams. The No. 8 NC State men (1-3), while not performing well in head-to-head competitions, have proven to be a tough team, losing only to No. 1 Texas, No. 2 California and No. 5 Stanford.

Meanwhile, the No. 19 Tar Heel men (5-2), while not facing as tough opponents as their instate rival, have shown their swimming and diving prowess throughout this season, consistently performing well at meets and invitations.

With this being one of the last matchups before the ACC Championships in Greensboro, N.C., the Virginia swimming and diving teams are looking to finish off the season well and head into the postseason with momentum.

—compiled by Ben Tobin

Men’s Tennis

What: No. 1 Virginia vs. Kentucky; Eastern Kentucky

Where: The Boar’s Head Sports Club

When: Sunday, 12 p.m; 5 p.m.

The Skinny: The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team kicks off a doubleheader Sunday in Charlottesville, when they play host to two schools from the Bluegrass State.

The Cavaliers are set to host Kentucky Sunday at noon, after which they will play a second match against Eastern Kentucky.

Sunday’s matchups feature Virginia facing off against teams heading in completely different directions, with the Wildcats having won their first four matches of the winter/spring season, while the Colonels are winless thus far in 2016 competition.

Friday’s matchups will be the first of the winter/spring dual season for the defending national champion Cavaliers, who still hold the top spot in national polls coming into the spring season thanks in large part to junior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski, the reigning one-seed in the 2015 National Indoor Championships, and widely considered the best college player in the country.

The match against Kentucky is set to begin noon Sunday, followed by the match against Eastern Kentucky at 5 p.m. Both matches will be held at the Boar’s Head Sports Club and are free to the public.

—compiled by Grayson Kemper

Women’s Tennis

What: No. 7 Virginia vs. South Carolina

Where: The Boar’s Head Sports Club

When: Friday, 4 p.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia women’s tennis team looks to extend a hot start into the 2016 calendar year when it hosts South Carolina Friday afternoon in the second individual team matchup of the spring season.

The women’s team started the winter season with a victory over Boston College Jan. 17, a solid start to the season which they extended into last weekend’s ITA National Weekend Kickoff, in which they won their regional bracket after defeating BYU and Columbia.

The seventh-ranked Cavaliers look for a 4-0 start against the Gamecocks, who have also started the season off with three consecutive victories.

Virginia faced off against South Carolina on two different occasions last year, defeating the Gamecocks both in a regular-season match as well as in the regional round of the NCAA Tournament.

The match kicks off 4 p.m. Friday afternoon at the Boar’s Head Sports Club in Charlottesville.

—compiled by Grayson Kemper

Indoor Track and Field

What: John Thomas Terrier Invitational

Where: Boston University Track and Tennis Center

When: Friday, 2 p.m.; Saturday, 11:25 a.m.

The Skinny: Virginia indoor track and field sends a contingent of runners to the John Thomas Terrier Invitational meet this weekend in Boston, MA.

The Cavalier field performers include reigning ACC Male Field Performer of the Week sophomore Filip Mihaljevic. The Livno, Bosnia and Herzegovina native garnered the honor following a record-breaking mark of 20.69 meters in the shot put last week at the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet.

Following the Terrier Invitational, Virginia will travel to Blacksburg, Va. for the Doc Hale Elite Meet.

—compiled by Matt Wurzburger