Sexy songs to set the mood

A&E chronicles best R&B songs to groove to this Valentine’s Day

<p>Queen Bey makes the top of A&E's list of sexy songs this Valentine's Day.</p>

Queen Bey makes the top of A&E's list of sexy songs this Valentine's Day.

For some couples and ready-to-mingle singles, Valentine’s Day is not nearly as exciting as Valentine’s night. When gifts, formalities and consumption of chocolate lead to something steamier, nothing sets the mood better than the perfect song choice. A perusal of Spotify’s “Romance” playlists brings up a variety of choices with titles such as “Spooning,” “Pure Seduction” and the cleverly named “Sexy as Folk.” The common theme? Songs to have sex to.

While it may be tempting to thumb through a collection of lovey-dovey folk songs, there’s no greater genre for Valentine’s Day than R&B. Having rightfully earned the moniker of “baby-making music,” the rhythm and blues genre succeeds with its focus on balladry, smooth production and plenty of innuendo. The following are just a few R&B offerings to make this Valentine’s night one to remember.

Beyoncé’s “Speechless” may be one of her least-known songs, but it is an obvious precursor to her later sensual work such as “Rocket.” The former sets a more fitting, sexier mood with her languid enunciation, the euphoric synthesizers and the final refrain of “yes” crescendoing into infinity.

“Motivation” by Kelly Rowland benefits from explicit lyrics and a rap segment from Lil Wayne rife with allusions to rainforests and dishwashing. This Destiny’s Child forgoes Beyoncé’s smooth vocals for shrill falsettos and suggestive come-ons to perfectly convey the kinkiest intentions.

“Do Me, Baby” by Prince is more a continuous sigh than an actual song as the artist warbles and wails, hoping his lover will, unsurprisingly, do him all night long. The song is best suited for those who prefer getting straight to the point.

Toni Braxton wins the award for sexiest female R&B voice with her river-deep alto moan on “You’re Makin’ Me High.” Her vocals create the perfect accompaniment for lyrics such as, “The very thought of you / makes me want to get undressed.”

“Promise” by Ciara may not be as straightforward as the previous song, but it thrives on subtlety and sweetness. Conducted with a breathy upper register paying homage to Prince, “Promise” is a love letter celebrating the idea of eternity and is perfect for couples in serious relationships.

Ginuwine is best known for the thumping “Pony,” featured in “Magic Mike,” but the song’s cult status diminishes some of its sex appeal. His less familiar “So Anxious” retains his penchant for narrative lyrics clearly stating his intentions with his partner.

“Primetime (feat. Miguel) — Cloe Martini Remix” by Janelle Monáe revels in the quiet and solace of the night as two star-crossed lovers promise to always be there for each other. The duet is a perfect play between Monáe’s vocal versatility and Miguel’s swagger.

“Unstoppable” by Lianne La Havas may be the cleanest song on the list, describing love in galactic terms while backed by jazzy orchestration. La Havas croons about how “the stars will guide the way / in the dead of space / you will be my one and only,” mirroring the universality of love and the overwhelming experience of connecting to another person.

“Untitled (How Does It Feel)” by D’Angelo is commonly heralded as the quintessential R&B song. Sonic elements merge perfectly in the track — the barely discernable lyrics, the layered electric guitar and D’Angelo’s passionate, culminating screams. Along with its infamous music video, “Untitled” will continue to provide couples and lovers with the perfect soundtrack for many Valentine nights to come.