Women’s swimming and diving sweeps competition, men drop both meets

<p>Junior Leah Smith’s three victories in the 200, 500 and 1,000 free helped the Cavalier women win nine of the 16 events and sweep NC State and UNC.</p>

Junior Leah Smith’s three victories in the 200, 500 and 1,000 free helped the Cavalier women win nine of the 16 events and sweep NC State and UNC.

This past Friday in Chapel Hill, N.C. provided two entirely different stories for the Virginia men's and women’s swimming and diving teams. While the women saw great success against two North Carolina ACC rivals, the men did not obtain the same result.

The No. 8 Cavalier women (8-0, 4-0 ACC) clinched a perfect dual-meet season by defeating No. 15 NC State (9-2) and No. 16 North Carolina (6-3) by scores of 154.5-145.5 and 178-122, respectively. Led by junior Leah Smith’s three victories in the 200, 500 and 1,000 free, the Cavalier women won nine of the 16 events in which they competed.

In addition to Smith’s trifecta of victories, senior Courtney Bartholomew won both the 100 and 200 back. Together, Smith and Bartholomew accounted for over half of Virginia’s event victories.

On the flip side, the No. 21 Virginia men (3-5, 1-3 ACC) had a rough time in the Tar Heel state. Falling against No. 8 NC State (3-3) by a score of 222-78 and No. 19 UNC by a score of 201.5-98.5, the Cavalier men did not pick up a single victory in the 16 events offered. The lone bright spot came from senior Yannick Kaeser, who finished second in the 100 breast.

Next Friday, the Virginia women’s diving team will compete in Richmond. The following day, both the men’s and women’s diving teams will participate in the JMU Invite in Harrisonburg.

The swimmers will not resume competition with the divers until the ACC Championships in Greensboro, N.C., which begin Feb. 17 for the women and Feb. 24 for the men.