Anthrax’s “For All Kings” meets all expectations

Die-hard metalheads and curious onlookers alike will find high points in this record

<p>New album from metal royalty does not disappoint.</p>

New album from metal royalty does not disappoint.

Following the releases of Slayer’s “Repentless” and Megadeth’s “Dystopia,” metal fans across the world called out for the other two members of The Big Four, Anthrax and Metallica, to put out albums. Anthrax responded first with heads banging and teeth gnashing.

Lyrically, “For All Kings” focuses on socio-political themes ranging from corruption to terrorism to self-empowerment. The title track puts forth the idea that by taking ownership of our actions, we can all achieve an increased self-awareness, whereas the song “Evil Twin” was written in response to the Charlie Hebdo attacks and other mass shootings.

Stylistically, the album opener, eerie death march interlude, “You Gotta Believe,” sets important precedents for the remainder of the album: technical guitar riffs, driving bass, anthemic choruses and a whole lot of percussion.

With new lead guitarist Jon Donais of Shadows Fall replacing Rob Caggiano, many fans worried the distinct blend of thrash metal Anthrax has crafted over the past three decades would be tarnished. However, listeners will be thrilled to hear the sound has not only been preserved, but has also been expanded to allow for more accessible hard-rock tracks, like “Breathing Lightning” and “Blood Eagle Wings.”

Aside from the music itself, the tracklisting order complements the listening experience. Clocking in at roughly an hour, an album consisting of one face-melting solo after another could easily become monotonous. Anthrax does a great job of diversifying their sound on this record.

The feral and booming “Monster at the End” is followed by the mechanical title track, which segways seamlessly into the catchy “Breathing Lightning.” This formula of alternating between breakneck speeds and more relaxed grooves gives the album greater depth; listeners can nod their heads along to “Defend Avenge” or go completely ballistic to “Caught in a Mosh.”

In terms of general musical innovation, Anthrax sticks to the tried and true. “For All Kings” shows the band can have a multifaceted repertoire, but it does not necessarily provide the listener with new sounds. Fans should approach this record expecting a good thrash metal album — no more, no less.