“Girls” shows its vulnerable side

Series second episode “Good Man” gives series’ men a chance to shine

The men of “Girls” are consistently charming and quirky, but the series’ newest episode, “Good Man,” really gives them a chance to shine. Season five’s second installment follows several of its leading men in search of love.

Looking to take his relationship with Jessa (Jemima Kirke) to the next level, Adam (Adam Driver) tries to convince her they can be “with each other like friends.” Jessa gives in to his pleas and the two end up spending the day at a carnival sharing food and playing games together. It’s sweet, even if it’s not a date, but later the duo succumb to their sexual desires via simultaneous self-pleasure. It’s classic Jessa and Adam to prioritize sex to avoid emotional attachment, but at least they retain some semblance of respect for their friendship with Hannah (Lena Dunham).

Hannah’s roommate Elijah’s (Andrew Rannells) storyline should not be labeled a search for love, but rather a stumble upon potential love. Elijah’s character becomes more fully realized in this episode. He has a new gig at Ray’s (Alex Karpovsky) coffee shop, and he gets a famous news anchor’s number in a bar. Previously a character used more for comedic effect than storytelling, Elijah’s subplot appears much more substantial this season already. Rannells is a joy to watch and the prospect of seeing his character evolve into something beyond the gay best friend trope is truly exciting.

The most poignant moments in “Good Man” were the scenes between Hannah and her father, Tad (Peter Scolari). Tad, having an emotional breakdown, reaches out to Hannah for help when he forgets his wallet after a hasty hookup with a man he met on a gay dating website. He neglects to tell his wife, Loreen (Becky Ann Baker), who discloses to Hannah she wants a divorce. Moments of levity save these scenes from being too heavy and make the story feel like a true snapshot of reality.

Hannah’s commitment to helping Tad through his crisis shows a hint of growth for her character. In “Good Man,” Hannah, who has been constantly criticized since the series’ beginning for being supremely selfish and self-involved, shows a love for her father that overcomes her self-interest and her aversion to his sexuality.

Marnie (Allison Williams) and Desi (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) are absent from this episode, yet it seems to benefit from their absence. “Good Man” is about personal growth, and excluding characters who have experienced very little in the way of growth only strengthens the episode.

“Good Man” is a strong follow up to the series’ strong premiere and only solidifies speculations of this season’s impending brilliance.