​Lake Street Dive offer a blast from past

Band’s talented playing recaptures pop music’s golden era

Our parents were right about almost everything, but in this instance, particularly about music. The music of the late 60s and 70s was something special: not just the Beatles or the Stones, but the soul-infused, original party music from the likes of the Jackson 5, which graced dance halls everywhere.

But as always, time went on and the culture drastically changed.

Music tastes have changed because of a lack of exposure to some styles and an overexposure to others. When the charts are filled with one-remix-wonders and Flo Rida, someone needs to fight back.

Enter Lake Street Dive, a wide-eyed soulful bunch out of Boston simply wishing to make the music they enjoy listening to. Dance-worthy guitar licks, a playful double bass and the occasional horn section backup the jaw-droppingly talented vocalist Rachael Price on the group’s second full-length record, “Side Pony.”

“Godawful Things” gets things started in a hurry. The song is more instrumentally sparse than it seems at first, which begins to demonstrate how commanding Price’s voice can be. The catchy chorus and the contemplative tempo slow-down in the last minute instantly place this tune on the album’s medal stand.

Not too far after comes clear standout “Call Off Your Dogs,” which takes all the aspects of what Lake Street Dive is doing well and juts them in one song. The keyboard-guitar combo backed by the steady, head-nodding drum beat makes the song impossible not to dance to. The subtle harmonies behind Price just seal the deal.

This standard formula is certainly the goal on many of their songs, including “Side Pony” and “Saving All My Sinning,” but their talent along with the calculated variations between songs prevent the album from blending together.

While the musicianship is certainly present, “Side Pony” lacks a clear underlying theme and cohesion, which could really take it to the next level. “Mistakes” is a key moment in the album, showing Lake Street is just as capable and impressive in their slower efforts.

But the song loses something by being sandwiched between the two most shallow and experimental songs on the album, “Hell Yeah” and “Can’t Stop.” This sort of adjustment will surely be seen in future albums as the band grows more experienced and truly bring together all elements of their sound.

Deep down, and despite their “Most Recently Played Artists” on Spotify, most people know this is what music was supposed to sound like. Leon Bridges’ recent rise to stardom and Grammy nomination only prove this, and hats off to him for opening the door to this almost countercultural sound. If the potential of “Side Pony” shows anything, it’s that Lake Street Dive will be right up there with him in no time.