Spring break determined by start date of second semester

Recess always falls in middle of spring semester

<p>According to a press release from the University, more than $3 million has been earmarked to improve access, affordability, quality and increased degrees at the University.</p>

According to a press release from the University, more than $3 million has been earmarked to improve access, affordability, quality and increased degrees at the University.

University Spring Recess — also known as “Spring Break” — began Saturday. The dates for the recess are proposed by the University’s Office of the Provost and approved by University President Teresa Sullivan.

Wynne Stuart, associate provost for Academic Support and Classroom Planning, said multiple dates are considered every year, but the determining factor is the date of the start of spring semester.

“The University’s spring break falls approximately mid-semester. This can range from the end of February into March, depending on the start date of the second semester,” Stuart said in an email statement.

Unlike fall break, which is only two weekdays, University students have a full five weekdays for break. Stuart said fall break is only two days because the University also gives a recess for Thanksgiving.

“There is a fall break of two weekdays, usually in October,” Stuart said. “Those two days and the three weekdays of Thanksgiving break equal the number of weekdays in spring break.”

Although many students leave Grounds for spring break, residence halls remain open during the break for students who cannot leave or choose to stay.

Stuart said some students think the break is early, but others do not. Second-year College student Victoria Bourgeois-Osborne said she likes the dates, but wishes spring break were closer to Easter.

“I do enjoy having the much needed break right after what is most students’ [hardest week of classes],” Bourgeois-Osborne said. “However, I come home for Easter as well and it might be nice to have a break a little closer to the holiday.”

Third-year College student James Johnson said he would like the break to be later.

“I would prefer if Spring Break [were] maybe a week or two later in the year,” Johnson said.

However, Stuart said a break around Easter is too late for many colleges and universities around the country.

“Often [a break near Easter] is too late for a reasonable University spring break,” Stuart said. “Not only U.Va., but many universities have the same experience.”

A break near Easter would provide an imbalanced calendar, Stuart said.

“The higher education spring break for schools with semester calendars divides the semester approximately in half,” Stuart said.

While some University faculty who have children attending Charlottesville area schools wish to have the dates match the dates of their child’s spring break, Stuart said many faculty don’t want a break toward the end of the semester.

“Some faculty with children in a variety of local schools would be happy to have school breaks at the same time,” Stuart said. “However, most faculty do not want a week long break three weeks before the end of classes.”

University students said they feel the break can be stressful due to school work. Bourgeois-Osborne said she doesn’t like having homework or exams due after spring break.

“It’s really sad if people have midterms right after break,” Bourgeois-Osborne said. “They either go away and can’t study or stay at home and study the whole break.”.

Johnson said having a midterm after spring break changes its overall mood.

“Spring Break and midterms don't really mix well in my opinion,” Johnson said. “Having a few before break and a few after seems like it could put a damper on the overall mood of spring break.”