YAHNIAN: In defense of sombreros

Politically correct criticism of parties is out of control

Recently, Bowdoin College sent multiple emails to its student body “about an ‘investigation’ into a possible ‘act of ethnic stereotyping.’” The repercussions for students who attended this event include impeachment proceedings for those in student government, social probation from Bowdoin, dismissal from their dorms and newspaper editorials ripping attendees for a “basic lack of empathy.” So what exactly was this heinous transgression? Students hosted a party where some attendees wore miniature sombreros. From the ridiculousness of such a complete overreaction to a situation that lacks any remotely recognizable form of cultural appropriation, it’s clear that an uncompromising allegiance to political correctness can be dangerous, absurd and entirely hypocritical.

This is not a liberal or conservative piece. It’s about common sense. A student of Colombian descent sent out the following email to friends inviting them to a birthday party: “the theme is tequila, so do with that what you may. We’re not saying it’s a fiesta, but we’re also not not saying that.” When photos hit the Internet of people merely hanging out at the party with their friends with some wearing small sombreros, all hell broke loose. The Bowdoin student government passed a “statement of solidarity” for all those who felt personally harmed by such an offensive act of cultural insensitivity. Particularly, the statement derided the party as one that “creates an environment where students of color, particularly Latino, and especially Mexican, students feel unsafe.” My initial reaction to this story was first of anger, then fascination. But now I’m just confused. I have absolutely no right to dictate what someone else thinks or any role in decreeing the things that may upset them, but this reaction is simply ridiculous.

As Catherine Rampell of the Washington Post notes, there isn’t a widely documented negative stereotype of wearing sombreros. Drinking tequila at a birthday party where some don sombreros warrants the same amount of disrespect as would drinking a beer and wearing a Cheesehead at a Green Bay Packers game. Punishments levied toward students for even just attending this party would be an act of injustice. A letter to the editor at the Portland Press Herald, superbly highlights this absurdity: “If I have a glass of Chianti with my spaghetti and meatballs, am I demeaning Italians? If I wear my baggy suit while drinking vodka, am I insulting Russians?”

The hypocrisy of the whole situation is painfully clear during St. Patrick’s Day where students don green shirts, green top hats and leprechaun-related costumes while choosing to consume Irish beer like Guinness. How is this situation any different? Do students wear an article of clothing which they consider representative of another culture? Check. And do they also consume a drink which they consider representative of that culture? Check. It seems that by this logic any party where one dresses in the garb of a different culture whether that be wearing a tie dye shirt to a hippie party or a toga to a Roman party should qualify as pervading unfair stereotypes of an entire culture. Just when you think the punishment for those at the party can’t possibly be more hypocritical, it is. The exact same night as this ill-fated party took place, Bowdoin threw its annual administration-approved “Cold War” party where students wore fur hats in reference to Russian culture with one “[referring] to herself as Stalin.” It clearly seems the standard for offensive stereotypes is becoming increasingly blurred.

Yet, it’s absolutely necessary to reaffirm that most cases of offensive stereotypes at parties or cultural appropriation appear to have real and substantial evidence for prejudice. Indeed, I hope this case seems to be an outlier rather than a norm. For many parties such as ones where students wear blackface or the disgusting “Colonial Bros and Nava-Hos” held at Cal Poly on Thanksgiving, I wholeheartedly endorse punishment for such insensitivity and offensiveness. These issues continue to beleaguer us far beyond our college campuses. From combating documented racial disproportionality among black men in the prison population to repudiating demagogues who call for bans against those on the basis of their religion, it’s undeniable we still have a long way to go toward a more equal and just society.

Engaging college students on these issues across the country is the perfect way to ensure this country continues on a path to meet the laudable goals of its founders. However, just because someone claims fault or offensiveness does not always mean they are right. In the grand scheme of things, sombreros at college parties are trivial matters; college activists should turn their attention away from them if they wish to be taken seriously by others.

Ben Yahnian is an Opinion columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at b.yahnian@cavalierdaily.com.