Community energized by the arts

C’Ville arts, culture thrives with beginning of new school year

The University and Charlottesville communities are never short of live, outdoor and socially-focused events. With the weather cooling down and the summer breeze feeling inviting, concerts and festivals in the late Summer and early Fall will become hotspots where arts-lovers can feel the vibe of the city.

Fridays After Five - through Sept. 9

2016 marks the 29th year of Fridays After Five, one of Charlottesville’s most popular live concert series. The event spans several months, kicking off in April and ending in September. Every Friday starting at 5:30 p.m., artists of multiple genres perform at the Sprint Pavilion on the Downtown Mall.

The community-centric event is free, and attendees will mingle with a diverse crowd. There are food and beverage concessions, and the profits support the work of a variety of local nonprofits.

Attracting throngs of University students each year, the Friday before the first football game of the season is special. Falling on Sept. 2 this year, the Cavalier Marching Band and head football coach Bronco Mendenhall will parade down the Downtown Mall, increasing the event’s festive atmosphere.

The remainder of this year’s lineup includes Orquesta Mammaye playing Afro-Peruvian rhythms, Michael Coleman Band with original soul pop rock and Chamomile and Whiskey performing Irish Appalachian Americana.

Koda Kerl of Chamomile and Whiskey said in an email that the band was very excited to play on Sept. 9 and fortunate to be a part of the concert series.

“We will prepare a big, rowdy show and go hard,” Kerl said. “We will get people dancing and will have a few tricks up our sleeves. It's a big stage down there and we fully plan on filling it up with sound and energy.”

Cville Pride Festival - Sept. 17

This festival is a free, day-long celebration of diversity and inclusion scheduled take place on at Lee Park. The event will bridge the Charlottesville LGBTQ community and its allies with those in Central Virginia. This year, dancing, drums, food trucks and over 70 interactive vendors selling Pride merchandise will create an unique environment where love and connection are celebrated.

President of the Charlottesville Pride Community Network Amy-Sarah Marshall is in charge of communications and said in an email statement that the festival’s family-friendly atmosphere provided a great opportunity for University students to interact with the queer community.

“This unique gathering attracts over 5,000 people from all walks of life,” Marshall said. “This can't-miss party with a purpose gives you the chance to visibly show your support for equality and to be fully accepted for being yourself.”

Thursday Evening Sunset Series - through Sept. 24

Lovers of food, beverages, live music and sunsets can have it all, every Thursday evening at Carter Mountain — a 15-minute drive from the University. It’s large orchard is enriched with local fresh fruits; locals and visitors can pick their own peaches from June to mid-September and apples from August to November.

The view overlooking Charlottesville from the mountain is breathtaking, and the relaxation will double with a cup of apple cider in hand. Bring lawn chairs and blankets for a refreshing evening surrounded by nature.

Scheduled performers this season include 60s and 70s classic rock group Local Vocals, Gary Broyles with covers of blues and country tunes, and Oh Wow Boy! performing retro Americana on the last night of the series.

Marc Lipson of Oh Wow Boy! said in an email statement that the band hopes people will enjoy their music.

“We are kind of an acoustic version of the Violent Femmes,” Lipson said. “We bring that special kind of uplifting and upbeat energy to Carter's Mountain when we play.”

Tomtoberfest - Sept. 23-24

This September, the fifth annual fall block party, Tomtoberfest, will take place at Lee Park. Free to the public, Tomtoberfest is a part of the Tom Tom Founders Festival, a week-long, community-based festival held every April hosting bands, start-ups, artists and visionaries.

Tomtoberfest features lively music, public art, crafts, food trucks and performances. Lucas Czarnecki, Tom Tom’s Marketing Manager, said in an email statement the two-day event will include a variety of musicians and bands attendees can dance to, as well as other opportunities.

“On the second day, students can come out to a Mid-Atlantic arts and crafts fair, where they can browse and buy handmade goods from across the region,” Czarnecki said.

Virginia Film Festival - Nov. 3-6

For more than 25 years, the Virginia Film Festival has brought intriguing films of all genres to Charlottesville. Both nationally and internationally produced, classics, documentaries and independent films are showcased during the four-day event. The festival also brings acclaimed directors, actors and cultural experts to lead stimulating discussions and offer genuine perspectives on the films. Students are qualified for one complimentary ticket to all film screenings, and admission tickets can be reserved online through the University Arts Box Office.

Students can also enhance their artistic skills through many educational programs the organization offers throughout the duration of the Festival. For example, Arts Workshops is an interactive arts fair that will take place on Nov. 5. A Digital Media Gallery event will showcase video projection art and contemporary films made with skillful cinematography students and local filmmakers. The Adrenaline Film Project, an annual 72-hour filmmaking competition, will allow student groups to experience fast-paced film production in real time. These offerings invite students from all areas of the University to engage with filmmaking in new and exciting ways.

Each of these events and festivals provide students with entertaining and relaxing ways to get acclimated to the local arts culture Charlottesville has to offer. Enjoy a study break amidst music, art, good weather and people!