Charlottesville Police Department plans Citizens' Police Academy series

Community members welcome to sign up for 12-week program

<p>The&nbsp;CPD will cover topics ranging from forensics to firearm use during the series.&nbsp;</p>

The CPD will cover topics ranging from forensics to firearm use during the series. 

Starting later this month, the Charlottesville Police Department will conduct a 12-week citizens’ police academy, offering members of the local community a firsthand look at their daily operations.

The series will cover several topics including forensics, crime prevention, crisis negotiation, firearms and the use of force.

Sergeant Steve P. Knick of the CPD’s Neighborhood Services Bureau said the department began offering the Citizens’ Police Academy over a decade ago with the aim of increasing transparency and fostering a better relationship between the City’s police and its citizens.

“This program was created to help give citizens an opportunity to interact more closely with the Charlottesville Police Department and gain a better understanding of how the department operates and everything that is involved with policing our community,” Knick said in an email statement.

The program facilitates communication between community members and officers, Knick said.

“Our goal is to provide people a better understanding of why we do things the way we do,” he added. “It also allows us the opportunity to learn from the community in regards to their expectations and perceptions.”

Classes will be held every Thursday night until early November at the CPD’s location on East Market Street, and will include lectures from City Police Chief Alfred S. Thomas, Sr., as well as other officers and detectives.

The program is available at no cost to those who register and is sponsored by the Charlottesville Police Foundation, a local nonprofit.

The department is now accepting applications from those interested in taking part in the series. Applicants must be able to pass a criminal background check and commit to attending all classes except in case of medical emergency.

Knick said both Charlottesville locals and University students are welcome at the Academy. Last year, three University students took part in the training course.

“While this course is about the Charlottesville Police Department, we welcome anyone who wants to learn more about us [to] join us for this 12-week course,” Knick said.

Dinner is provided each night and the department puts on a graduation ceremony when participants conclude the series, Knick added.