Madison House celebrates year of service with U.Va. students

Madison House approaches 50 year anniversary, encourages new and returning students to join

<p>Madison House offers a variety of volunteer programs which link University students with community partners.&nbsp;</p>

Madison House offers a variety of volunteer programs which link University students with community partners. 

In the 2015-2016 academic year, Madison House had more than 3,000 students work with 175 community partners in Charlottesville during weekly volunteering shifts.

Madison House Executive Director Tim Freilich said while the statistics suggest a great year, the organization’s primary goal goes beyond the numbers.

“We want all of our students to be able to contribute meaningfully to — and learn from — our community partners and their organizations. So we're more focused on improving the depth and quality of the volunteer experience...rather than hitting any numerical targets,” Freilich said in an email statement.

Madison House offers volunteering services in a variety of programs, such as the Adult & Emergency Services Network, Education Network, or Youth Mentoring Network.

“Chances are we can find a program to match your interests, help you explore potential careers, or just give you a break from your classes,” Freilich said.

Third-year College student and Echols Scholar Holly Brooks was named the 2016 Volunteer of the Year at Madison House.

Brooks said her volunteering experience with Madison House started in the fall of 2015, and since then she has worked with two community partners within the Housing Improvement Program within the Adult & Emergency Services Network.

“With [Albemarle Housing Improvement Program] (AHIP), we worked to rejuvenate housing for those in the community who were unable to do so themselves, whether for financial or physical reasons,” Brooks said in an email statement. “For example, I have helped to paint houses, build sheds and wheelchair ramps, replace old siding on houses, and even pick up garbage in the community.”

With the program Housing2Home, Brooks worked to rehouse the recently homeless in affordable, furnished housing.

Brooks and Freilich both noted the valuable relationships formed between fellow volunteers as well as community partners.

“[Corbin Breaud with AHIP and Roger Williams with Housing2Home] help to show what a difference we're making in the community and motivate me, as well as many other volunteers to want to return week after week to make a difference,” Brooks said.

“Volunteering through Madison House is one of the best ways to get to know other students and community members from a range of backgrounds,” Freilich added.

With Madison House, students can participate in long-term volunteering as well as short-term events. Madison House’s Big Event, for example, features a single day of service-oriented activities for students to give back to the community.

Fourth-year College student Jessica Moreno attended the 2016 Big Event on April 9th.

“I had great time volunteering with The Bike Shop in the Big Event,” Moreno said. “I had never even heard of them before and I was really surprised and greatly encouraged by the services they offer.”

Brooks said she is looking forward to returning to Madison House as a program director for the Housing Improvement Program this fall.

“Volunteering has absolutely changed my college experience in an incredible way,” Brooks said. “It's so meaningful to be able to give back to the community in a way that is personal to me.”

Freilich said he is also expecting another great year.

“For 2016-2017, we're continuing to explore ways to tie our volunteers' service in with their coursework, and improve the training for our student leaders,” Freilich said. “We're working to make sure our volunteers head out into the community well-prepared, ready to learn, and ready to make a difference.”