Fall events you should attend

How to fully experience U.Va. in the fall

Reading Days, Oct. 1-4

While it’s called “reading days,” this year from Oct. 1-4, most University students will take off for home and spend the days relaxing with the comfort of mom’s food. Some select students will spend their fall break volunteering on Alternative Fall Break. Even more select students will actually use the break to study for impending midterms to take place upon return.

Hoos Under the Lights, Oct. 13

Homecoming weekend kicks off with the annual Hoos Under the Lights, featuring free food, music and games. Held in Scott Stadium, this event caters to first-year students and hopes to bring school spirit to a high before the Homecoming game. In the past, musical groups have included local student bands like the Kendall Street Company.

Homecomings, Oct. 14-16

Grounds become infinitely more packed during Homecomings as University alumni return for a weekend of activities. If you’re a second generation Hoo, this means it’s time to welcome mom and dad back. Activities span from Friday to Sunday ranging from pre-game tailgates to the infamous Young Alumni Reunions. If you’re a fourth-year, take notes and prepare for YAR next year.

Pancakes for Parkinson’s, Oct. 15

The only thing that could make game days better is if they served you breakfast beforehand. Luckily, once a year, this dream becomes a reality. Spend your morning on the South Lawn while volunteers serve up plain, blueberry or chocolate chip pancakes for a good cause. Bonus: check off one of the boxes on your U.Va. to do list!

Puppies and Pumpkins, Oct. 24

A sacred and adorable Unviersity tradition, University Programs Council hosts Puppies and Pumpkins, an event dedicated solely to petting willing puppies and carving your very own pumpkin. Get there early and make sure you score both the best pumpkin and cutest puppy! Annually, Puppies and Pumpkins truly marks the beginning of fall and provides students with the much-needed jack-o’-lantern dorm room decor.

Trick or Treating on the Lawn, Oct. 31

If you need a little pick-me-up on your post-Halloweekend Monday, head over to the Lawn for one of U.Va.’s most beloved traditions. Families from all over Charlottesville arrive on the Lawn with toddlers decked out in their cutest costumes in tow. And who knows, you might end up finding some inspiration for next year’s costume.

Fall Family Weekend, Nov. 4-6

About midway through the semester, even fourth-year students begin to miss home. Fall family weekend, Nov. 4-6, provides the perfect opportunity for you to show off you school to your parents and ensure them that tuition money is going good places. This year, family weekend features dorm room dinners, a cappella concerts, culturefest, the Virginia Film Festival and more. For third-year students, the weekend marks the Ring Ceremony, celebrating the midway point in their undergraduate careers.

Thanksgiving Break, Nov. 23-27

Fall culminates in the much-anticipated Thanksgiving break, when you finally get to indulge in that pumpkin pie you’ve been dreaming of since late September. From Wednesday to Sunday, students get a break from textbooks and long hours in Clemons library to spend time with family before finishing up the semester. Upon return, courses end a week and a half later and before you know it, it’s winter.

Correction: This article previously listed the date for Puppies and Pumpkins as October 26.