Top 10 thoughts you have at the beginning of the semester

1. I’m going to make the most of this syllabus week.

Oh, how quickly we forget that this will never, ever, ever be a real thing at dear old U.Va. Different folks approach the first few days of classes in different ways: some take it as a chance to cram as much work in as possible in an effort to get ahead, others use it as an opportunity to hit every bar on the Corner. No matter which side of the spectrum you fall on, most can agree that it suddenly becomes very clear that a) this week flies by faster than anyone would like to admit, and b) most professors here begin lecturing before the first class period is over. Sigh.

2. This is the semester I’m finally getting a 4.0.

The start of the school year always feels a bit like the first day of January. It is a time for college New Year’s resolutions, opportunities to start over, rife with enthusiasm and the potentially naïve belief that this year, we will, in fact, achieve all we’ve always set out to do. Naturally, some of the first goals many of the more scholastically-minded students in our midst may set are related to academics. This semester, we tell ourselves, is the one where everything changes. Report back to me in December on how this turns out.

3. I’ll work out every day.

Okay, maybe three times a week. Twice. At least once! This resolution often fades fastest. But, have faith: actually getting into shape doesn’t have to be as difficult as it seems. Round up some of your equally ambitious friends and make a point of holding each other accountable. Or, if you’ve got the spare change to swing it, drop the money on a month-long pass to a workout class you enjoy. You’ll be far more likely to commit physically if you’ve already committed financially.

4. I’ll cook for myself more.

This one especially always hits me. Maybe it’s because I have spent too much time stalking Taylor Swift on Instagram, but cooking and baking are so easily romanticized in my mind. The smell of some fresh-out-the-oven, Pinterest-worthy dish is, undeniably, a tempting one. However, the shimmering façade that so often surrounds cooking quickly fades when you realize just how time consuming it really is. Sure, making your own hearty meal of steak and potatoes sounded nice, but that’s time and money you only wish you had. Looks like it’s Littlejohn’s for dinner again tonight.

5. I’m going to join more clubs.

I returned to the activities fair this year only to be totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of CIOs vying for my attention. Somehow, I had forgotten how crowded the Amphitheater and South Lawn get on that first Monday before classes. As a third-year, I’ll admit it was nice to wander around the bustling masses and feel like I had finally found my place(s), like there wasn’t too much else I needed — or wanted — to seek out and join in on. But I remember well the anxious feeling of looking out at booth after booth, tri-fold poster after tri-fold poster, and wondering which clubs would have me. Thankfully, I can speak from experience on this issue: it may take time, but eventually, everyone finds an organization to call home.

6. I need — no, I’m getting — a job.

Money has a funny way of slipping out of our hands. And jobs always seem like a good idea … until the school year actually hits at full force and you realize just how time-crunched you actually are, or that no one is going to want to schedule you for a single hour-long shift during the one break you have between classes on certain afternoons. But sending in that application or going in for that interview is a simpler step than it may seem; if you’re dedicated enough to the idea of getting a job, you’ll surely find a way to make it work.

7. I’m going to branch out and meet some new people.

Somehow this is always more difficult in reality than it is in your mind. People can easily get stuck in their own circles, but that doesn’t mean you should fall victim to the same practices! Don’t be afraid to be friendly: talk to strangers, talk to students, talk to professors. Kill two birds with one stone and meet new people through joining that club you’ve been thinking about joining or by taking that job you applied for a few weeks ago. We often say that people are what make this university great, so what are you waiting for? Go meet more of them.

8. I mean it, let’s really get lunch!

We all have that one friend: the one that you’ve run into consistently since first year, but have never really sat down with, never really talked to for an extended period of time, never really gone out with. You are, definitively, acquaintances. Not quite pals, but every time you see each other, you grab the other’s shoulders and say emphatically: “We need to hang out! For real this time!” It’s become a bit of an awkward-but-real joke between the two of you, this fact that you seem to get along but refuse to become legitimate friends. But really, what are you waiting for? Instead of eating dinner in your room by yourself, stand by your word and actually hang out with this person. Why would you regret it?

9. I love all my classes!

The first few days of classes are like paragraphs on the backs of books. They sound so good when you first pick them up that you vow to read them cover to cover, but as soon as you start doing just that, the boredom hits and you wish you could move on to something else. This semester though, try not to let that fatigue take hold of you too quickly. Remember how you feel right now: remember the eagerness, the excitement, and save the exhaustion for when midterms hit in a few weeks. Believe it or not, you’re lucky to be here. So embrace it, and enjoy as much as you can.

10. How did this week go by so quickly?

You almost hate to say this because it makes you frustratingly sound like your parents, but, face it, time flies — especially in these first few weeks, when you’re trying to balance your social and academic lives, on top of moving in, getting re-involved, trying new things, meeting new people, etc. But don’t be afraid to slow down and breathe — breathing is important. Smell the roses, say yes to adventures and don’t worry too much about school. All easier said than done, of course, but each of these resolutions deserve some attention this year.