Virginia faces tough road test against Oregon

Cavaliers can hit restart button with win

<p>A strong performance from senior running back Taquan Mizzell at Oregon&nbsp;could help&nbsp;rewrite the rocky&nbsp;start to Bronco Mendenhall's tenure as head coach.</p>

A strong performance from senior running back Taquan Mizzell at Oregon could help rewrite the rocky start to Bronco Mendenhall's tenure as head coach.

This offseason for Virginia fans was filled with levels of excitement which had been absent from the program for years. Newly-hired coach Bronco Mendenhall was bringing a proven track record that brought hope to a downtrodden Cavalier fan base.

Virginia (0-1, 0-0 ACC) fell in its first test in the Mendenhall era, suffering a 37-20 loss to in-state FCS powerhouse Richmond. Mendenhall repeatedly stated that a program turnaround wouldn’t happen overnight, but Virginia fans were nonetheless stunned after the loss.

Junior quarterback Kurt Benkert’s play was promising, as he completed 26-34 passes for 264 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. Despite a solid air attack, the Cavaliers’ running backs failed to establish any ground game.

Senior running back Taquan Mizzell had seven carries for seven yards, senior running back Albert Reid had six carries for 28 yards, and Benkert rushed eight times for three yards.

Mendenhall said he believes scrimmage and camp play could have had a role in the lack of production for his running backs.

“We kept Smoke [Mizzell] out of all the scrimmages,” Mendenhall said. “We didn’t tackle him live through fall camp. I think players play as they’re prepared.”

This Saturday, the Cavaliers will travel 2,800 miles to face No. 24 Oregon, which is tied for the second-longest trip in school history. This is just the second time that these two teams will have faced off, after the Ducks (1-0, 0-0 Pac-12) handed Virginia a 59-10 loss in 2013 at Scott Stadium.

Oregon is coming off a 53-28 victory against the UC Davis Aggies. The Ducks looked sharp both throwing and running the football.

Graduate transfer quarterback Dakota Prukop completed 21 out of 30 passes for 271 yards and three touchdowns. Four Ducks rushed for over 30 yards and three receivers had three or more receptions.

Oregon is known for its fast style of play that overwhelms its opponents. Virginia players are confident that its style of play in practice will help prepare them for Oregon’s pace.

“We’ve got fast guys on our team too,” freshman defensive end Eli Hanback said. “With the speed of how we practice, I think we will be prepared for their speed.”

This matchup for the Cavaliers could give Virginia fans hope for the rest of the season if they pull off the upset. Oregon opens up as 25-point favorites, and Autzen Stadium will be packed with Ducks fans.

“They will have most of the fans and the crowd,” Reid said. “It’s a big moment for us.”

Obviously the odds are stacked against them, but if the Cavaliers want to have any hope in a hostile environment they will have to limit careless mistakes. Virginia turned the ball over four times — three fumbles and one interception — with three of those turnovers committed in Richmond territory.

“It’s not the end of the world,” senior offensive tackle Michael Mooney said. “A lot of things can change from week one to week two.”

A 0-2 start for Virginia, however, would confirm that the Cavalier faithful are in for yet another long, difficult season.

Kickoff will be Saturday at 10:30 p.m. on ESPN.