Renovations set to address high temperatures in Old Cabell Hall

U.Va. to insulate hot water pipes

<p>Renovations to the old Language Lab in Old Cabell Hall led to high temperatures on the building’s lower floor, creating an uncomfortable learning environment for students.</p>

Renovations to the old Language Lab in Old Cabell Hall led to high temperatures on the building’s lower floor, creating an uncomfortable learning environment for students.

Renovations to the old Language Lab in Old Cabell Hall led to high temperatures on the building’s lower floor, creating an uncomfortable learning environment for students. The University is now working to address the issue.

The University’s initial solution was to bring in several air conditioning units, something graduate student Stephanie Doktor calls “a complete waste of energy.”

“Because they chose not to insulate the pipes, the rooms are insanely hot,” Doktor said. “To combat the heat, they have air conditioners on at all times.”

The problem should be remedied in the coming week by insulating pipes which are located between the Language Lab and the classroom B012, which Doktor teaches in, project manager Brian Pinkston said in an email statement.

The former Language Lab is being renovated to create a “commons-type” space, Pinkston said. As a part of the project, the pipes that carry hot water to the radiators throughout the space had to be reconfigured.

“We did the bulk of that work during break, but are still working on insulating those lines,” Pinkston said. “I believe, though still need to confirm, that the insulation will be complete this coming week.”

Pinkston likened the heat to the same type that is emitted from an old style radiator.

“Those pipes are in the interstitial space above the renovated lab and below the room that was getting warm,” Pinkston said. “The heat coming off these lines is about the same as that from old style radiator.”

Doktor said the entire lower floor of Old Cabell Hall is “sweltering” in the mornings and she has had students ask to open windows.

Not only are the windows always open, but the air conditioning unit in the classroom is constantly running, Doktor said.

Pinkston said that although the space is certainly warm and “apparently uncomfortable,” the heat currently emanating from the pipes does not pose a safety risk.