U.Va. receives record number of early action applications

Admissions accepts 29 percent of applicants

<p>University admissions received a record number of 20,446 early action applications for the Class of 2021 &mdash; a 24 percent increase from last year’s early applicant pool.</p>

University admissions received a record number of 20,446 early action applications for the Class of 2021 — a 24 percent increase from last year’s early applicant pool.

About 29 percent of those who applied to early action this year were accepted, roughly the same as last year, which had a 31 percent early acceptance rate.

Nearly 27 percent, or 5,458, of Class of 2021 applicants were deferred. These numbers are subject to change due to withdrawals.

Those deferred will be considered again and could potentially be offered acceptance when the University announces its regular admissions decisions in March.

Of the 20,446 that applied, only 5,278 were Virginians, with the rest of applicants coming from out-of-state students. In-state applicants had a 47 percent acceptance rate, compared to a much lower acceptance rate of 22 percent for out-of-state applicants.

Compared to early actions decisions last year, 50 percent of in-state applicants received offers of early admission, while only 24 percent of out-of-state applicants were offered spots in the Class of 2020.

The College of Arts and Sciences held an acceptance rate of 29 percent. The Architecture, Curry, Engineering and Nursing schools had acceptance rates of 41 percent, 24 percent, 31 percent and 15 percent, respectively.

Early action applicants came from over 65 different countries across the world, with nearly 95 percent of accepted applicants being ranked in the top 10 percent of their class.

According to Assoc. Dean Jeannine Lalonde’s “Notes from Peabody” admissions blog, admitted early action applicants will learn if they were also accepted into the Echols, Rodman and College Science Scholars programs “in the coming days.”

Dean of Admissions Gregory W. Roberts was unavailable for comment before press time.