Weekend Previews: Jan. 27-29

"The Skinny" on weekend action for swimming and diving as well as track and field

<p>Senior Leah Smith hopes to lead the No. 5 women's swimming and diving teams to a strong regular-season finish at NC State.</p>

Senior Leah Smith hopes to lead the No. 5 women's swimming and diving teams to a strong regular-season finish at NC State.

Swimming and Diving

What: Virginia vs. NC State

Where: Raleigh, N.C.

When: Saturday, 4 p.m.

The Skinny: After a week in which two Virginia student-athletes were named ACC Swimmers of the Week, the Cavaliers travel back to North Carolina this weekend to take on NC State in their final meet of the regular season. The No. 5 Virginia women’s team’s (6-0, 3-0 ACC) Senior Leah Smith claimed the honor for her weekend heroics, in which she broke three pool records in the meet at No. 22 Duke (5-2, 1-2 ACC). Additionally, the No. 13 Virginia men’s team’s (5-1, 4-0 ACC) sophomore Brendan Casey claimed the award after strong performances in the backstroke and IM against both Duke (5-2, 0-2 ACC) and UNC (1-4, 0-2 ACC).

If all goes as planned, the Cavaliers’ matchup against NC State will be the stiffest competition they have faced all year. The No. 3 NC State men’s team (3-0, 0-0 ACC) is the highest-ranked ACC team in the nation, while the No. 9 NC State women’s team (2-1, 1-0 ACC) pose the greatest threat to dismantling the women Cavaliers’ impressive record of nine-straight ACC titles.

While the meet itself is important, the competition will serve as a measuring stick for a Virginia team that is more well-rounded this year than it has been for the past few seasons. Rankings aside, the Cavalier’s dominance — especially the men’s team’s — spells good news as both teams head into ACC championship weeks during the next month.

The meet against NC State is scheduled for 4 p.m. Saturday in Raleigh, N.C.

compiled by Noah Kim

Track and Field

What: Darius Dixon Memorial Invitational

Where: Lynchburg

When: Saturday, 9:30 a.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia track and field teams will travel to Lynchburg to compete in the Darius Dixon Memorial Invitational this Saturday. After the men’s and women’s teams each finished in the bottom two spots at last week’s Notre Dame Invitational, the Cavaliers will look to improve their record with better finishes this weekend.

The meet is hosted by Liberty University and will feature many in-state schools, such as Hampton, Christopher Newport and Washington and Lee, as well as VCU and Radford.

A few athletes to look out for are sophomore Mia Barron — who won the triple jump last week at Notre Dame — and senior Chimere Ezumah. Ezumah has two top-three finishes in her past two meets.

The meet begins at 9:30 a.m. Saturday in Lynchburg.

compiled by Ryan Coyne