Top 10 things to do in Charlottesville this spring

Suggestions from First Fridays and hiking to Foxfield and the Chainsmokers

<p>Top 10 things to do in Charlottesville this spring.</p>

Top 10 things to do in Charlottesville this spring.

1. Farm-to-Table Restaurant Week (April 10-16)

Tired of the “same old, same old” dining hall food? Of crying into a bowl of Newcomb’s newest creation while imagining a French delicacy from Petit Pois? Well, there is a week out there especially for you: Farm-to-Table Restaurant Week — do not confuse this with regular Restaurant Week.

As a part of the Tom Tom Founders Festival, restaurants around Charlottesville will demonstrate why the city is a well-known foodie destination. Participating restaurants will feature special dinner menus that highlight local food producers and artisans as a part of the local food movement. This is your time to become a locavore — and no, I did not make up this ridiculous word.

2. The Hard Cider Run at Vintage Virginia Apples (April 22)

One thing I hate about running is that the results aren’t immediate. I don’t suddenly have abs at the end of a brisk jog, so really, what’s the point? Luckily for the alcoholic in me, The Hard Cider Run is coming up! The run takes place in an orchard, and at the end you’re handed a complimentary glass of hard cider. Finally — a way to make sure I actually make it to the finish line! In addition to the cider, participants will receive a free t-shirt, a commemorative bib, a commemorative glass and a custom event medal — and they had me sold at the cider. Pro tip: the event is free if you sign up to volunteer beforehand.

3. The Chainsmokers (April 18) and Cage the Elephant (April 24)

This is my chance to redeem myself after I missed every musical event ever … although, let’s be honest, I’ll probably miss these too. For those who are less lazy than me — and also live under a rock and have not heard about it yet — the Chainsmokers and Cage the Elephant are coming to Charlottesville! If there was ever a time to drink excessively on a Monday and Tuesday, this is it. Then again, every four years, there’s a Tuesday in November that definitely drives half the nation to drink … but this is happy drinking. Not sad drinking. There is a very big difference.

4. Foxfield (April 29)

Ah, yes. Foxfield. The day when everyone dresses classy while simultaneously acting the least classy they’ve ever been in their entire lives. Many drunkenly stumble around with a red solo cup in hand while their friends remind them, “pinky up!” I once saw a girl puke in her hair and wash it out with beer. Another chose to use her floppy hat as a trash can … is this something I can write about? It was hard enough to watch, I don’t know if anyone should have to read this. But I digress. Ah, yes. Foxfield. Good times — although it may be better in hindsight.

5. Festival of Cultures (May 13)

This wonderful festival represents the three things that the University needs the most: free food, free entertainment and diversity. There will be tons of different activities and exhibits all day, as well as hands-on cultural crafts, music, dancing, storytelling, artisan vendors and so much more! Organized by the Charlottesville City Schools Adult Learning Center and many other local organizations, this festival is a great way for University students to engage in and learn about the community outside of the “U.Va. bubble.”

6. First Fridays

For all of you art lovers out there … so basically Art History and Studio Art majors … maybe some A-School kids … there’s First Fridays! On the first Friday of every month, many Downtown galleries feature exhibit openings for free! Folk art, fine art, classical, contemporary, imports, local, they have it all! Well, I think so. I believe those are all the types of art. Also, many galleries serve light refreshments. So if you’re feeling super classy, or really just feel like demonstrating your knowledge of art in a snooty way, head on down to First Fridays so you can shame your friends for their ignorance and put those art classes to good use! I once took an Aegean Art and Archaeology course. I may have to force some of my STEM friends to go, so I can prove I have basic intelligence.

7. Charlottesville City Market

On Saturday mornings from April to December, all of the obnoxious morning people pair up with the aforementioned locavores and head over to the Charlottesville City Market. I’m not going to lie, I’ve heard good things. The key word here is “heard.” I’m much too lazy to attend anything that starts and ends in the a.m. For those with greater willpower and a louder alarm clock than me, the Charlottesville City Market features over a hundred vendors who sell fresh produce, herbs, meats, plants, artisan crafts and baked goods. This tradition has been a part of Charlottesville since 1973 and is a great way to support local businesses. In fact, it’s so integral to the community that I’m not sure if it’s something you can miss out on.

8. Vineyards and breweries

This is quite literally a given. All University students do is drink at various levels of classiness. This is the highest level of classy in which you will see a University student. The lowest is a student at Foxfield and the second lowest a student at a frat party. Either way, savor the moment. Savor the transient moment of classiness. Sure, you may have to put up with a lot of group photos, selfies and girls taking pictures of their wine before they take a sip, but enjoy the moment. For soon, the belligerent drunk shall return.

9. Hiking

Hiking is something I tend to enjoy in hindsight. I remember the sunrise of Humpback Rock with fondness and nostalgia. I remember Old Rag with pleasure. More importantly, there are things I don’t recall with such clarity, such as the sweat, hyperventilation or ticks. Or sweat. I don’t remember glaring at my friend’s back because she hadn’t yet broken a sweat while I was 50 feet behind wheezing like a hippo in labor. I don’t remember that time I found a tick in my armpit. And I don’t remember almost stepping on two separate snakes on the same trip … okay, so maybe I do remember. And yet, why do I always want to go hiking again?

10. Night of drink

This is a weekly festival that takes place Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Most University students participate in it. The students will go out to bars, attend apartment parties, frat it up and then feel awful the next day while regretting everything they said and did between the hours of 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. This tradition has been going on since the University’s inception. The event has never been formally organized, and yet students are aware of it and participate. They somehow all know which bars to go to without having sent or received a memo. Amazing!