Cantwell denied bond after Commonwealth appeals original decision

Albemarle County judge originally set bond at $25,000

<p>In August, &nbsp;Cantwell turned himself in after being charged with three felonies related to the Aug. 11 torchlit march on Grounds.&nbsp;</p>

In August,  Cantwell turned himself in after being charged with three felonies related to the Aug. 11 torchlit march on Grounds. 

Christopher Cantwell of Keene, N.H., was denied bond Thursday in Charlottesville after turning himself in for charges related to the Aug. 11 torchlit white supremacist march on Grounds. 

Earlier Thursday, an Albemarle County judge set Cantwell’s bond was set at $25,000. Albemarle County’s head prosecutor had until 4 p.m. to appeal the decision. 

The hearing began at 3 p.m. and lasted four hours.

Cantwell was charged with two charges of illegal use of tear gas, phosgene or other gases and one charge of malicious bodily injury by means of a caustic substance or agent. He appeared in court last Thursday, but bond was not set at that time.

University Police obtained arrest warrants for Cantwell Aug. 22, and he turned himself in to Lynchburg Police Aug. 23. He is currently being held in the Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail. 

Cantwell became nationally known after he appeared in a VICE News Tonight documentary about the Aug. 12 “Unite the Right” rally.

Cantwell is scheduled to appear in court again Oct. 12.