Emmet Street Station under construction

CAVA is first restaurant announced for new development

<p>Riverbend Development is in charge of the project and purchased the lot in April for $2.1 million.</p>

Riverbend Development is in charge of the project and purchased the lot in April for $2.1 million.

The previously vacant lot at the corner of Barracks Road and Emmet Street is currently being redeveloped with a new purpose. The City of Charlottesville approved a site plan at 1200 Emmet Street in March and construction began this past summer. 

In an email to The Cavalier Daily, City Planner Matthew Alfele said the building will include 10,800 square feet of retail and restaurant space.

Riverbend Development is in charge of the “Emmet Street Station” project, and purchased the lot in April for $2.1 million.

The space previously housed a gas station. According to C-Ville Weekly, the space will contain two restaurants and two retail stores. It will also have three solar-powered electric car charging stations.

On Wednesday, it was announced that Mediterranean-themed restaurant CAVA will open a Charlottesville location at Emmet Street Station next summer. 

“Charlottesville has established a phenomenal reputation as a vibrant city that knows good food, and it was also awarded healthiest small town just a year ago,” CAVA CEO Brett Schulman said in a release. “We’re excited to bring CAVA to this discerning audience, offering a healthy, convenient option for the U.Va. and Charlottesville communities.”

This installment will be one of more than 45 restaurants the chain predicts it will own by the end of 2017, including locations in Richmond, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles.

When asked about the project’s potential effects on the surrounding area, Alfele noted that “during the site plan review of the development, the traffic impacts to the intersections of Emmet, Barracks, and Meadowbrook received a lot of attention.”

“The neighborhood surrounding the development was/is concerned with cars using Meadowbrook Road as a cut through to avoid the intersection of Emmet and Barracks,” Alfele said. “To help with this concern, the developer designed the exit in a way [that] a car cannot turn north on Meadowbrook [Road] and is forced to go south towards Barracks [Road].”

Alfele said that he was unsure of an exact completion date for the project.

Alan Taylor of Riverbend Development did not respond to requests for comment from The Cavalier Daily.