Squash competes at McArthur Center for first time as varsity program

<p>The weekend served as the first time the Cavaliers have played at the McArthur Center as a Division I program.&nbsp;</p>

The weekend served as the first time the Cavaliers have played at the McArthur Center as a Division I program. 

Both the men’s and women’s Virginia squash teams had busy weekends at the McArthur Squash Center in Charlottesville. The weekend also served as the first time the Cavaliers have played at the McArthur Center as a Division I program. The women (2-2) played Friday night and Saturday afternoon, while the men (3-2) competed in three matches over the span of Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon.

For the women, the weekend proved their strongest test yet at the Division I level. Friday night, they faced the No. 5 Stanford Cardinals. Stanford proved too powerful this early in the season, as the Cardinals won the contest in decisive 9-0 fashion. The only Cavaliers who were able to win a game in their matches were junior Annie Tyson and sophomore Sarah Doss in the fifth and sixth positions, respectively. 

The competition only got harder for the women, however, as they returned to action Saturday against the No. 2 Penn Quakers. Virginia was once again outmatched by an elite opponent, as Penn won the match, 8-1. Virginia gained one point in the second position from sophomore Julia Thompson after an injury to the Penn player caused the match to end early. 

The men also started out with a loss to Penn, as the No. 5 Quakers defeated the men, 9-0. Sunday proved to be an encouraging day for the Cavalier men, however, as they went 2-0 on the day in contests against Richmond and North Carolina. Both Richmond and North Carolina are club teams, and their matches demonstrated that Virginia deserved to make the jump from club to Division I. The Cavaliers were dominant, winning both matches 9-0. Virginia was also scheduled to face Gettysburg College Sunday, but injuries prevented Gettysburg from fielding enough players. 

Both teams will resume play Tuesday, Nov. 28 against George Washington in Washington, D.C.