Women’s basketball defeats Indiana 82-72 in overtime thriller

<p>Senior guard J’Kyra Brown put in a career-high 24 points against Indiana Tuesday.</p>

Senior guard J’Kyra Brown put in a career-high 24 points against Indiana Tuesday.

Virginia fans received free basketball Monday as the women’s basketball team defeated Indiana in overtime of the second round of the West Palm Invitational.

The Cavaliers (6-6) received a huge boost off their bench as senior guard J’Kyra Brown put in a career-high 24 points to give them a 82-72 victory.

Getting off to a much better start then their first round matchup against Ohio, Virginia opened up with a 10-8 lead. The game was hectic as multiple lead changes ensued, but the Hoosiers finished the first quarter with a commanding 19-14 edge.

Brown started to get going in the second, finishing the half with 10 points and a buzzer beating three to give the Cavaliers a 36-34 lead.

Virginia continued to control the third quarter, keeping the lead through much of the period. 

The fourth quarter went down to the wire as the lead continued to change in the closing moments. The Cavaliers hit one big three after another to give themselves a chance in the final moments.

All tied up at 65, Virginia went with their hot hand Brown, whose three-point attempt glazed off the rim as time expired.

Not showing any quit, the Cavaliers continued to battle and held a 69-68 lead with just over a minute to play. Timely buckets by Virginia’s sophomore phenoms pushed the lead to five points at the 53-second mark.

Indiana tried to play the free throw game to get back into the contest in the closing moments of overtime, but the Cavaliers had no intention of giving up their lead, ending the match with an 82-72 victory.

After a long break away from John Paul Jones Arena, Virginia returns to Charlottesville Thursday to face off against Manhattan.