The Villa Diner relocating to new Emmet Street location

Students express excitement that the diner will remain open

<p>The dining will be leaving its current location near the Cavalier Inn.&nbsp;</p>

The dining will be leaving its current location near the Cavalier Inn. 

After 13 years of doing business next to the Cavalier Inn, Ken Beachley, owner of The Villa Diner, will be moving his business to a new location further up the road to 1250 Emmet Street, replacing Royal Indian Restaurant next to Zaxby’s.

The U.Va. Foundation — which manages real estate and financial services for the University — announced last year the decision to terminate the diner’s lease in anticipation of future redevelopment along Emmet Street and Ivy Road. The Cavalier Inn is also slated for demolition this summer. 

Beachley said he and his wife were aware of the eventual demolition plans when they first purchased the diner back in June 2005 but were still upset by the news when the time finally came to relocate. The two-part plan is to shut down the current location May 28 and reopen the diner at its new location no later than July 1. 

“My contact at U.Va. Foundation has always been kind of up front that the day [The Villa Diner would be demolished] was going to come someday,” Beachley said. “I actually feel somewhat fortunate that it got pushed off for 13 years.” 

The Beachleys hope to make a smooth transition to the new location to avoid losing revenue for more than three or four weeks. In addition, they want to ensure that the move does not exceedingly interrupt the earnings and livelihoods of their staff. 

“This is still in flux as we get this all laid out,” Beachely said. “We are hoping for only one week where our employees will go unpaid, but we certainly will be able to keep everybody working [for part of the time] while we move everything out of the restaurant and get set up.” 

The Villa Diner is known for its family-friendly and comfortable ambiance, and its eclectic combination of Greek, Italian and American breakfast food. Beachley said the restaurant started off as a regional breakfast chain and was bought by a Greek man who specialized in Italian food. He and his wife decided to preserve this unique menu when they acquired the diner in 2005. 

“Growing up, The Villa was our go-to Sunday morning spot to catch up in and procrastinate on homework,” said Grace Deal, a third-year Batten student who is from the local area. “It's such a Charlottesville institution — it's been around so long — all the people who go there are regulars, and the staff is so friendly. It's such a cool place because students, families and cute old couples all coexist and are friendly over greasy breakfast food.” 

Out-of-state students have also expressed their love for the diner and the homey feel it provides. 

Third-year College student Mia Nelson described how the diner reminded her of her hometown in Shrewsbury, N.J. In high school, she regularly visited a local diner after lacrosse games and has been able to recapture that feeling when dining at The Villa. She also said it has connected her more to the University community.

“I feel like it really brings people together, especially before basketball games,” Nelson said. “Since it is so close to JPJ, there are often a lot of U.Va. basketball fans that would go there to get a meal before the games and it was really cool to go there on game days and see people of all ages out there supporting the Hoos.” 

At its current location, The Villa Diner is situated in close proximity to John Paul Jones Arena, Klöckner Stadium and Davenport Field, which makes it a popular dining spot after sporting events. In addition, it is within walking distance from residences for many students, which is another one of the diner’s most appealing attributes.

While many students are fond of the diner, the pending relocation will affect how often some students are able to frequent the restaurant.

Third-year Batten student Peyton Brooks said that, although he plans to continue eating at the diner, he will be unable to go as often as he had before. 

“I am an RA, and a lot of the appeal of The Villa was its proximity to first-year dorms and my ability to walk there,” Brooks said.

In addition to being farther away, The Villa Diner will have less parking because it will no longer be next to the Cavalier Inn. The Inn used to allow Villa customers to use its parking lot for parking. Now, the Villa will be limited to the 28 spaces the new location includes. 

“It’s hard to find a location that checks all the boxes that our current location has so you know  we feel like we found the best spot for us that we could,” Beachley said. 

However, parking and distance may not discourage students who have made The Villa part of their weekly routine. Fourth-year Engineering students Mark Restrepo and Lucy Fitzgerald have been eating at The Villa Diner together for over a year. The pair goes once or twice a week to share some good food and stories. 

“What really makes the Villa so special is it's dependability and reliability,” Restrepo said. “Nothing ever seems to change there … It's a place I go to reset, to relax, to remind myself that even though I'm stressed and things don't always make sense, things do always work out.” 

Beachley said he hopes to maintain this welcoming and friendly atmosphere that students and other members of the community have come to characterize the diner by. He said he doesn't want it to become too formal and only seeks to make changes in terms of enhancing the comfort of customers’ experiences. 

“We want to make sure when you walk in you can say, ‘Okay you know what it’s not the exact same but everybody is still friendly and nice, and the food is hot, good and quick,” Beachley said. “Hopefully, we can reproduce all those things people like about us in the new location, even though we are not going to be the same greasy spoon.”