Baseball drops series at Pittsburgh

Daniel Lynch strikes out 12 in Saturday loss

<p>Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch started the game on the mound Saturday for Virginia and struck out a career-high 12 batters in seven and one-third innings.</p>

Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch started the game on the mound Saturday for Virginia and struck out a career-high 12 batters in seven and one-third innings.

The Virginia baseball team won the first game of a three-game road series at Pittsburgh this past weekend but went on to lose the final two.

Friday brought snow showers to Pittsburgh (14-10, 4-8 ACC), but the game went on as scheduled, and the Cavalier (15-13, 4-8 ACC) offense accumulated 13 hits to defeat the Panthers 10-7. Junior second baseman Andy Weber went 3-for-6 with two doubles and drove in three runs. Weber nearly hit a grand slam in the fourth inning, but the ball did not clear the right field fence and ended up as only a two-run double. 

Freshman shortstop Tanner Morris went 3-for-5 Friday batting from the leadoff spot in the order. Junior catcher Cameron Comer had two hits, including the first homer of his college career, a solo shot in the second inning.

On Saturday, Pittsburgh defeated Virginia 7-5 after a three-run comeback in the bottom of the eighth inning. Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch started the game on the mound for Virginia and struck out a career-high 12 batters in seven and one-third innings. Lynch surrendered five earned runs on only four hits and two walks, and was perfect through the first four innings he pitched.

Pittsburgh senior center fielder Frank Maldonado hit a home run in the seventh inning to make the score 5-4, before following that with the game-winning hit an inning later on a two-out single. Maldonado went on to go 5-9 with 9 RBIs over the course of the series.

Virginia pitchers combined for 11 strikeouts Sunday, but the offense managed only three hits in a 4-1 loss. Sophomore center fielder Cayman Richardson drove in the only Virginia run of the game on an RBI groundout in the eighth inning, scoring Comer.

Four Cavalier relief pitchers — junior left-handed pitcher Riley Wilson, senior right-handed pitcher Mack Meyer, freshman left-handed pitcher Andrew Abbott and freshman right-handed pitcher Kyle Whitten — combined to give up zero earned runs in the final five and one-third innings of the game.

The Cavaliers next play Tuesday at 5 p.m. against Old Dominion at Davenport Field at Disharoon Park.