Kessler drops ‘Unite the Right 2’ suit against City

Anniversary demonstration being organized for Washington, D.C.

In an agreement signed by both parties and filed with the court Thursday, Kessler dropped his lawsuit against the City of Charlottesville and former City Manager Maurice Jones.

Jason Kessler, the white nationalist organizer of the deadly Unite the Right rallies last August, dropped a suit Thursday against the City of Charlottesville and former City Manager Maurice Jones over a “Unite the Right anniversary” rally. Kessler says the rally is dedicated to fighting for what he calls “white civil rights.”

The City denied Kessler’s application for a permit last December. In March, Kessler sued, alleging the City had violated his civil liberties. While the trial date was set for next April, Kessler filed for a preliminary injunction — a temporary order by the court until the trial can be held — in late June. 

During the hearing for the injunction, he withdrew the motion and declared any Unite the Right anniversary demonstrations would be on Aug. 12 in Washington, D.C., outside the White House. It is currently unclear whether he will orchestrate unsanctioned demonstrations in Charlottesville.

Kessler did not immediately respond for comment.