No. 6 women’s soccer crushes Pittsburgh in return to Klöckner

The Cavaliers took care of business Sunday by beating the Panthers 7-0

<p>Junior forward Meghan McCool has six goals this season for Virginia.</p>

Junior forward Meghan McCool has six goals this season for Virginia.

A week off seemed to have no negative effect on the Virginia women’s soccer team in its 7-0 romp of Pittsburgh Sunday. 

In their first game at Klöckner Stadium since Sept. 30, the No. 6 Cavaliers (12-2-0, 5-2-0 ACC) put together two dominant halfs in beating a struggling Pittsburgh (4-9-1, 0-7-0 ACC) team. The win now makes Virginia undefeated in seven contests at Klöckner Stadium.

Virginia came out ready to play in this one, as the team scored four goals in the first half — three of which came in the first 12 minutes of the game. The Cavaliers tacked on three more goals in the second half.

This scoring outburst continued what has become a trend recently for the Cavaliers in which their offense has exploded. After losing to Virginia Tech 1-0 on Sept. 27, Virginia has scored a combined 16 goals in their last four games, including Sunday’s.

The goals came from everywhere today, but leading scorer junior forward Meghan McCool led the way with two goals — her fifth and sixth of the season. Senior midfielder Betsy Brandon, freshman forward Ashlynn Serepca, freshman midfielder Alexa Spaanstra, freshman forward Rebecca Jarrett and sophomore midfielder Anna Sumpter also scored for the Cavaliers in this blowout victory. 

Virginia was able to register 22 shots — 16 in the first half and six in the second half — and 10 shots on goal, while Pittsburgh was only able to register one shot, which came in the second half. 

The Cavaliers don’t have to worry about travelling anymore as they play their last three regular season games at home. The Cavaliers next matchup is Thursday at 7 p.m. against Syracuse, before closing out the season against Florida State and North Carolina State.