Women’s basketball loses 63-61 to No. 23 Florida State

Cavaliers come up short in first ACC game

<p>Sophomore guard Brianna Tinsley led Virginia with 19 points in the team's loss against Florida State.</p>

Sophomore guard Brianna Tinsley led Virginia with 19 points in the team's loss against Florida State.

The Virginia women’s basketball team lost 63-61 to No. 23 Florida State Thursday night in its first ACC game of the season.

Florida State (13-1, 1-0 ACC)  freshman forward Valencia Myers scored the game-winning points with 47 seconds left after Virginia (6-8, 0-1 ACC) junior guard Dominique Toussaint had tied it at 61 apiece.

In the first quarter, the Seminoles went on an 8-0 run to go ahead 16-8 before a Toussaint nailed a buzzer-beater at the end of the first quarter the gap, 16-10.

Florida State led by only a point at the half, 26-25. Virginia sophomore guard Brianna Tinsley scored 11 points in the first half, while senior forward Mone Jones scored 10. Tinsley would go on to score a team-high 19 points for the Cavaliers, while Jones finished with a career-high 12.

Tinsley and junior small forward Jocelyn Willoughby each hit a three-pointer early in the third quarter to put Virginia up 33-30. The Cavaliers finished the third quarter ahead 49-43.

With 1:41 to go in the fourth quarter, Seminoles freshman guard Kourtney Weber hit a three-pointer to put Florida State ahead 61-59, before Toussaint’s equalizer and Myers’s game-winner.

Virginia had one last chance to score with 4.1 seconds remaining, but their inbound pass was stolen by Florida State junior guard Nicki Ekhomu.

The Cavaliers were once again without junior center Felicia Aiyeotan, who has missed six weeks with a right knee injury, but is expected to return within the next two weeks. In her absence, Virginia was outrebounded 42-32 by Florida State. Willoughby and junior forward Lisa Jablonowski tied for the team lead with eight boards apiece.

Virginia will next play Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. on the road against Clemson.