Death investigation underway at U.Va. near JPJ Arena

Deceased male subject found on Grounds Thursday afternoon

<p>Virginia State Police and University Police Department personnel investigate the scene near John Paul Jones Arena facing Emmet Street.&nbsp;</p>

Virginia State Police and University Police Department personnel investigate the scene near John Paul Jones Arena facing Emmet Street. 

Virginia State Police are currently investigating an “unattended death” near John Paul Jones Arena, which was reported at approximately 11:59 a.m. Thursday to the University Police Department. The deceased male subject was found in a wooded area between JPJ Arena and the 500 block of Emmet Street.

The cause of death is unknown at this time, according to VSP and UPD. Authorities have set up tape around the area on the Emmett Street side of the arena and say there is no ongoing threat to the community.

“At this stage of the investigation, there is no evidence to indicate foul play was a factor in this death,” VSP announced in a statement. “The remains will be transported to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Richmond for examination, autopsy and positive identification.”

University spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said VSP are leading the investigation instead of UPD.

JPJ Arena will still be hosting rappers Lil Yachty and Aminé for the University Programs Council spring concert Thursday at 7:30 p.m.

This article has been updated with additional information from the University.