Marco Anthony announces intention to transfer

The sophomore guard leaves Virginia basketball after two seasons

Sophomore guard Marco Anthony entered the NCAA transfer portal Monday afternoon.

Sophomore guard Marco Anthony announced his intentions to transfer Monday afternoon via Twitter. Anthony leaves the Virginia men’s basketball program after two seasons.

“After many talks with my family and God, I’ve made the decision to add my name to the NCAA transfer portal,” Anthony said.

Anthony was unable to break into the Virginia rotation this past season. Though Anthony appeared in 22 games his sophomore season as opposed to 13 his freshman year, he averaged only 5.4 minutes per game and 1.2 points per game as opposed to 7.9 and 2.0, respectively.

In addition, Anthony only played one minute in the Cavaliers’ NCAA Tournament run, during Virginia’s first round victory over 16-seed Gardner-Webb.

"Marco informed me that he is leaving the Virginia basketball program and transferring to another school," Virginia Coach Tony Bennett said. "I thank Marco for his hard work and contributions to our program, and wish him success in the future."

Anthony’s departure comes on the heels of four Virginia underclassmen declaring early for the NBA Draft, including junior guards Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy. Freshman guard Kihei Clark and incoming freshman guard Casey Morsell now figure to be integral to Virginia’s backcourt rotation next season.