Kyle Guy declares for NBA Draft

Closes door on return to Virginia

Junior guard Kyle Guy declared for the NBA Draft Tuesday afternoon.

Virginia junior guard Kyle Guy announced via Instagram April 16 that he would be joining teammates Ty Jerome and De’Andre Hunter in declaring early for the NBA Draft, before Mamadi Diakite did the same. Monday, Guy tweeted that he would be leaving his name in the draft, closing the door on returning to the Cavaliers for another season.

“I … set a goal for myself to play in the NBA,” Guy wrote in his initial announcement. “I am diving in to this with two feet to achieve my dream but I will leave the option of coming back to school open.”

However, in his follow-up tweet, Guy officially announced that he would no longer consider playing another year at Virginia.

“Saying goodbye twice is not easy,” he wrote. “I am officially keeping my name in the draft. I know it’s the right step after much prayer and thought with my family.”

Guy was named Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four after hitting the winning free throws at the end of the game to beat Auburn then scoring 24 points in the national title game against Texas Tech. However, he does not appear in most mock drafts.

The draft will take place Thursday, June 20, at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

This article was updated with new information April 23.