De’Andre Hunter will enter the NBA Draft

Sophomore guard to forgo two years of eligibility to play professionally

<p>Sophomore guard De'Andre Hunter joins junior guard Ty Jerome in declaring for the NBA Draft.</p>

Sophomore guard De'Andre Hunter joins junior guard Ty Jerome in declaring for the NBA Draft.

Sophomore guard De’Andre Hunter declared Monday that he is headed for the NBA draft, foregoing two years of eligibility in college basketball.

“Playing [in the] NBA was always a lifelong dream,” Hunter wrote in an Instagram post announcing his decision. “That being said I would like to announce that I will be entering the NBA draft and signing an agent.”

Hunter, who redshirted his first year at Virginia, entered the season projected as a lottery pick and proved himself throughout the season as a versatile player with elite athleticism. This season, he averaged 15.2 points per game and 5.1 rebounds a game, and he shot 52 percent from the field, including 43.8 percent from three-point range. Hunter also stepped up big in the NCAA Tournament Championship game, when he had a career-high 27 points against Texas Tech.

He has racked up awards this season, including being named the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament MVP, the ACC Defensive Player of the Year, a First Team All-ACC selection, the NABC Defensive Player of the Year, a Final Four All-Tournament team selection and an Associated Press All-America Third Team selection.

“Being at the University of Virginia has been an amazing experience,” Hunter wrote. “From being a redshirt to winning a national championship, the journey has been unbelievable.” 

Hunter will join teammate junior guard Ty Jerome in the draft, who declared earlier today. The NBA Draft will take place June 20.