Virginia softball loses to Liberty 2-0

The Cavaliers lose a low-scoring contest on the road

<p>Despite freshman pitcher Aly Rayle's best efforts, the Cavaliers came up short against the Flames Tuesday.</p>

Despite freshman pitcher Aly Rayle's best efforts, the Cavaliers came up short against the Flames Tuesday.

Virginia (16-18, 5-7 ACC) lost 2-0 to Liberty (24-13, 6-3 ASun) in a defensive battle Tuesday at Kamphuis Field in Lynchburg, Va.

Freshman pitcher Aly Rayle pitched all six innings for Virginia, allowing four hits and two runs. Despite allowing no hits in the final three innings of the game, the Cavaliers were unable to produce any runs and Rayle took the loss in the circle.

Liberty jumped on the board early with a solo home run by junior infielder Amber Bishop. The Flames scored again in the bottom of the third. Junior infielder Autumn Bishop singled to center field and two hitters were hit by pitches to load the bases with one out. Rayle struck out the following batter, but a single to third allowed one run to score to make it a 2-0 game. 

Liberty senior pitcher Chase Cassady pitched all seven innings for the Flames, holding to Cavaliers to three hits and totaling seven strikeouts for the day. 

Sophomore outfielder Kate Covington was 2-for-3 at the plate with a single in the third and another in the seventh inning. Senior pitcher Lacy Smith also produced a single in the first inning. 

Virginia heads to Chapel Hill, N.C., Friday, April 5 to face North Carolina in a three-game weekend series. Friday’s game is set to start at 6 p.m.