No. 6 women’s lacrosse defeats Navy in second round of NCAA Tournament

The Cavaliers outlast Midshipmen 15-12 to advance to the quarterfinals

<p>Junior midfielder Sammy Mueller matched a career high with eight points against Navy.</p>

Junior midfielder Sammy Mueller matched a career high with eight points against Navy.

The No. 6 seed Virginia women’s lacrosse team defeated Navy 15-12 in the second round of the NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Tournament Sunday afternoon.

While Navy (16-5, 8-1 PL) opened the scoring, Virginia (13-6, 3-4 ACC) answered with three consecutive goals to take the lead. 

The Midshipmen cut the deficit to one through senior attacker Andie O’Sullivan, but the Cavaliers used a 4-1 run to take a 7-3 lead with a little less than 10 minutes remaining in the first half. 

The two teams proceeded to trade goals for the remainder of the half, and Virginia went into the break with a 9-5 lead.

The Cavaliers scored the first two goals of the second half, but the Midshipmen scored two goals themselves to stay within striking distance. 

Junior midfielder Sammy Mueller scored back-to-back goals for Virginia midway through the second half to extend its lead to six. 

Before the Cavaliers could add to their lead, Navy went on a much-needed 5-1 run over the next 13 minutes to cut the deficit to 14-12. 

However, Virginia regained control of the match as Mueller scored again with 1:57 remaining to seal the win for Virginia.

Mueller recorded a sensational and well-rounded performance for Virginia, leading the way with six goals and two assists. Senior midfielder Maggie Jackson also had a hat trick, while junior midfielder Nora Bowen and freshman midfielder Courtlynne Caskin each scored a pair of goals. 

It was the second win of the season for Virginia over Navy after previously beating the Midshipmen by an identical scoreline Feb. 9. 

With the win, Virginia advances to face No. 3 seed North Carolina in the quarterfinals. The game will take place Saturday in Chapel Hill, N.C.