Virginia men’s basketball lands four-star point guard Reece Beekman

Beekman is the highest-rated Virginia commit since 2016

<p>Beekman praised Virginia Coach Tony Bennett in announcing his commitment to Virginia.</p>

Beekman praised Virginia Coach Tony Bennett in announcing his commitment to Virginia.

The Virginia men’s basketball team landed a commitment from four-star point guard Reece Beekman Thursday morning. 

“[Virginia Coach] Tony Bennett is a straightforward guy and they win big,” Beekman told ESPN’s Paul Biancardi. “I like his calmness in big moments and he definitely lets his guards play.”

Beekman, the 44th-ranked recruit in the class of 2020 according to ESPN, is the Cavaliers’ highest-ranked commit since 2016, when Virginia brought in 27th-ranked guard Kyle Guy and 43rd-ranked guard Ty Jerome.

He made his commitment in Charlottesville at the NBPA Top 100 Camp held this week at John Paul Jones Arena.

Beekman, who plays at Scotlandville Magnet High School in Baton Rouge, La., and for Phenom University on the 17U Nike EYBL circuit, will join fellow guard Carson McCorkle in Virginia’s 2020 class. However, the Cavaliers still have one more scholarship available for that season after Beekman’s commitment and the recent arrival of transfer forward Sam Hauser.

Virginia is among the finalists for four-star guard Keon Johnson and four-star forward Henry Coleman.