Virginia football players awarded with preseason honors

Bryce Hall, Jordan Mack, Charles Snowden and Bryce Perkins recognized as players to watch

<p>Bryce Hall is expected to be one of the top defensive backs in the nation in 2019.&nbsp;</p>

Bryce Hall is expected to be one of the top defensive backs in the nation in 2019. 

After finishing the 2018 season with an 8-5 overall record and a dominant win in the Belk Bowl, the Virginia football team is hoping to build on last season’s success in 2019.

Several players are set to play pivotal roles for Virginia including senior cornerback Bryce Hall and senior linebacker Jordan Mack, both of which have been named to the preseason Bronko Nagurski Watch List released Tuesday.

Since 1993, the Football Writers Association of America and the Charlotte Touchdown Club have annually awarded the Nagurski Trophy to the country’s best defensive player in college football. 

Mack finished last year second on the team in tackles — with 66 total including six tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks — despite missing four games due to injury. Mack was one of just 12 ACC players to make the watch list. 

In 2018, Hall led the nation with 22 passes broken up and was tied for first with 24 passes defended. Hall’s elite defensive play last season earned him second-team All-American and first-team All-ACC honors.

In addition to being placed on the Nagurski Watch List, Hall was named to the preseason All-ACC team, the only Cavalier to make the team and the top vote-getter among defensive players. 

Hall was also named to the preseason watch lists for the Bednarik Award, Thorpe Award and Lott IMPACT Trophy. The Chuck Bednarik Award is given to the country’s best defensive player as judged by the Maxwell Football Club. The Jim Thorpe Award honors the top defensive back in college football, while the Lott IMPACT Trophy is presented to a defensive player that displays both personal character and athletic excellence.

Junior linebacker Charles Snowden, who led all linebackers with nine pass breakups and 11 passes defended last year, was named to the Butkus Award Watch List. The Butkus Award is given to the nation’s best college linebacker by the Butkus Foundation.

On the offensive side, senior quarterback Bryce Perkins was named to the 2019 watch lists for the Maxwell Award — awarded to the best all-around college football player in the United States — and the Davey O’Brien Award — given to the nation’s best college quarterback. After setting a single-season program record for total offense, Perkins’ dynamic play is expected to turn heads again in his second season at Virginia.

As Virginia prepares for the start of the 2019 college football season, Mack, Hall, Snowden and Perkins will be essential for the Cavaliers to continue their success from last season.