Former Cavalier Joe Harris tapped as a finalist for USA Basketball’s FIBA World Cup squad

Harris is one of 17 players in consideration for the final 12-man World Cup roster

<p>Joe Harris surprised many after he was announced as a finalist for USA Basketball's Men's World Cup Team.</p>

Joe Harris surprised many after he was announced as a finalist for USA Basketball's Men's World Cup Team.

After successes at the collegiate and NBA levels, former Virginia star and guard Joe Harris may have the chance to impress on the international stage this summer at the 2019 FIBA World Cup. 

USA Basketball announced Saturday that Harris has been selected as one of the 17 finalists for the 12-man team that will represent the United States in the upcoming tournament. Harris was one of just four members of the USA Basketball Select Team — Team USA’s practice squad — chosen in addition to 13 athletes from the national team.

Over the past several days, Harris, as the Brooklyn Nets’ small forward, was a part of the Select Team that joined the national team for training camp in Las Vegas. He also played in the Blue-White exhibition game Friday night at T-Mobile Arena where he logged five points, two rebounds and an assist in 19 minutes of play. 

With his selection, Harris will join the other finalists in Los Angeles Aug. 13 for training before playing an exhibition game against Spain Aug.16 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA. 

It is expected that Team USA Coach Gregg Popovich will cut the roster to 15 or less players this weekend before the squad continues its World Cup preparations overseas in Australia where the team will have exhibition contests versus the likes of Australia and Canada. 

Team USA is required to submit a final 12-man roster 48 hours before the first game of the FIBA World Cup, which will be held from Aug. 31 to Sep. 15 in China.