Virginia basketball alumni raise money for the Heather Heyer Foundation on the two-year anniversary of her death

Profits from shirt sales will go to the foundation

<p>Heyer was a Charlottesville-area resident who was killed in the Aug. 12 car attack on the Downtown Mall during the violent “Unite the Right” rally.</p>

Heyer was a Charlottesville-area resident who was killed in the Aug. 12 car attack on the Downtown Mall during the violent “Unite the Right” rally.

Two years ago, Heather Heyer was killed when a car plowed through a crowd of counter protesters at the white supremacist ‘Unite the Right’ rally in Charlottesville. To honor Heyer’s life and her dedication to promoting equal rights among all people, Virginia basketball alumni have came together to raise money for the Heather Heyer Foundation, which gives scholarships to young activists.

Former guard and national champion Ty Jerome posted a video on his Instagram page last weekend promoting the effort of former Virginia basketball players to support Heyer’s cause. The players are selling a black t-shirt — the same color of shirt that Heyer wore during the rally — with all profits going to the foundation.

“Today we want to honor her name and her message,” Jerome said in the post. “Heather protested against racism wearing a black t-shirt … Let us never forget the name, Heather Heyer and her message of love, unity and equality.”

In addition to Jerome, former Virginia players Justin Anderson, Evan Nolte, Malcolm Brogdon, Joe Harris, London Perrantes and Devon Hall are featured in the video.

The front of the shirt reads “Unity c/o Heather Heyer. ‘Equality.’ Charlottesville, VA. c. August 12, 2017.” The back reads “‘If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.’ — Heather Heyer.” It is on sale at Locker Room Access, a website founded by Jerome and Anderson.

This article has been updated.