U.Va. admits 35 percent of applicants for the Class of 2024 in first early decision cycle since 2006

Seven percent of the students admitted are first-generation, and 26 percent are legacies

<p>&nbsp;The University offered admission to 749 students, or 35 percent of the 2,157 early decision applicants.</p>

The University offered admission to 749 students, or 35 percent of the 2,157 early decision applicants.

The University Office of Undergraduate Admission released its early decision offers for the Class of 2024 Friday evening. The University offered admission to 749 students, or 35 percent of the 2,157 people who participated in the early decision process, which requires accepted students to attend the University and rescind all other college applications.

According to data provided to The Cavalier Daily by the Office of Admission, 62 percent of those accepted, or 466 students, are Virginian. 26 percent of admitted students are legacies, meaning one or both of their parents attended college at the University, and seven percent are first-generation college students.

59 percent of those accepted are female, and 41 percent are male. 24.3 percent of accepted students are minorities, and 6.7 percent are foreign nationals. The mean SAT score of accepted students is 1413.

Roberts said the acceptances represent 20 percent of the Class of 2024, which is targeted to consist of 3,748 students. He said the offers account for approximately 10 percent of total predicted admissions offers.

Last year, 26 percent of applicants were accepted through the non-binding early action admissions cycle, and 23.8 percent of applicants were accepted through the regular decision admissions cycle.

The University announced in May that for the first time since 2006, they would permit students to apply early decision. In fall 2006, former University President John T. Casteen III cited the reason for ending early decision to be removing a barrier for low-income students to access a top-tier education at U.Va.

“It has become the case since about 1990 that few students from low-income families have applied for early decision,” Casteen said. “The reasons are several, but in the end the effect of early decision nationally and here in Virginia appears to be that the opportunity that early decision has represented has come somehow to be the property of our most advantaged applicants rather than the common property of all applicants.”

In a previous interview with The Cavalier Daily about reinstating early decision, Roberts said that “all discussions that took place considered the potential impact on economically disadvantaged and underrepresented students.”

“Since UVA meets 100% of financial need to [all] applicants regardless of the plan they choose, we can make our best aid offer to students with financial need in ED,” Roberts added.

Students who applied early decision had to submit their applications Oct. 15, ahead of the Nov. 1 early action deadline. The Office of Admission received a record-breaking 25,063 early action applications in November.

Students applying for regular decision admission have until Jan. 1, 2020 to get their applications in.