U.Va. receives largest early action applicant pool in its history for the Class of 2024

The University received a higher percentage of applications from prospective African American and first-generation college students, but a lower percentage of international students

<p>Peabody Hall is home to the University's Office of Admissions.</p>

Peabody Hall is home to the University's Office of Admissions.

The University’s Office of Admissions received 25,063 early action applications for the Class of 2024, the most it has received in its history. This is the ninth consecutive year the University has received a record number of early action applicants since it was instituted in 2012, but this year’s increase is substantially greater than the past two years. The University received 21,446 and 21,573 early action applicants in 2017 and 2018, respectively.

According to Dean of Admissions Greg Roberts, University admissions experienced an increase in early action applications received from both prospective African American students and first-generation college students this year, compared to last year’s early action applicant pool. This year, the University received 1,172 early action applications from prospective African American students — a 17 percent increase from last year. First-generation college students comprised over nine percent of this year’s applicant pool at 2,378 applicants, a two percent increase from last year.

“We are pleased that more first-generation and minority students are interested in applying early action,” Roberts said. “We have worked extremely hard to recruit a diverse and talented group of students to Grounds.”

The number of prospective international students applying through early action decreased substantially this year. According to Roberts, University admissions received 2,192 applications from international students, a 19 percent decrease from last year.

University admissions has not yet reviewed all the early action applications, but this year’s decrease in international applicants is part of a broader national trend, Roberts said.

“Many schools have experienced a decline in international applications over the last several years,” Roberts said. “Nationally, colleges are hearing that international students are concerned about everything from safety to the ability to get visas in the U.S.”

The University’s early action plan deadline was Nov. 1, and applicants will hear back about the status of their applications by the end of January. 

Just two weeks ago, University admissions received its first pool of binding early decision applications since 2006, when the early decision option was abolished due to concerns that the program disadvantaged first-generation and low-income students. University admissions received 2,157 applicants through the early decision plan, bringing the current number of applicants for the Class of 2024 to 27,220.

The University’s regular decision deadline is Jan. 1, 2020, and the University anticipates a total application pool of around 40,000 applicants. Last year, 26 percent of early action applicants were accepted compared to 23.8 percent of regular decision applicants.