U.Va. Athletics extends alcohol sales to Davenport Field

Other enhancements include new menu items, updated entry procedures and game-day promotions

The new changes will go into effect Feb. 18 when the team plays Virginia Military Institute at the first home game of the season.

University Athletics announced Thursday that concessions at Davenport Field will now be offering alcohol with the start of the 2020 baseball season. The decision was made in response to feedback expressed by fans in previous seasons. 

The Porch — a new concessions offering — will serve beer, wine and hard cider to fans who pass an ID check and receive a wristband that will enable them to buy two drinks at one time and up to four drinks during the game. Fans will not be permitted to take beverages outside of the area, but are encouraged to drink in the designated beverage garden. The stand will be located in the right field concourse within view of the game and will open 60 minutes before first pitch until the conclusion of the seventh inning stretch.

The change follows Athletics’ decision last August to begin serving alcohol at Scott Stadium for football games.

Further menu changes include the opening of Ballpark Burger — a new concessions stand that will offer steak and cheese subs, jerk chicken nachos and jerk chicken sandwiches, along with Ben and Jerry’s milkshakes served in souvenir mason jars. 

Game entry procedures to Disharoon Park have been updated to include pedestal scanners at each gate that aim to expedite entry. All baseball tickets will now be mobile access. The clear bag policy will remain in effect.

University Athletics has also added several promotional events to the home game calendar at which fans will be able to receive free giveaways, including free hot chocolate for fans for any game in which the temperature is 45 degrees or below when gates open. Games during home weekend series will also feature interactive games on the concourse for fans to enjoy.